Electric Desoldering Pump

I saw in a catalog an "electric" desoldering pump which looks similar to the
more familiar mechanical models like the Edsyn Solderpult.  There was almost
no information in the catalog accompanying the picture (other than 110VAC
input...) and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this device.
In particular I wanted to know if it was essentially a "constant on" vacuum
pump or if the electricity was just used to preload a mechanical spring.

Any information greatly appreciated.

TIA
    Norm

Re: Electric Desoldering Pump
There are numerous models in the $20 range that are essentially a manual
desoldering pump/solder sucker with a spring loaded plunger that's released
by pressing a button.

The tip is hot and hollow, instead of being synthetic material used in a
solder sucker.

Cheers
WB

the
almost
vacuum

Re: Electric Desoldering Pump

released

Just about every technician has one of these hand operated suckers their
tool box and they all "kick" due to the recoil when the plunger is released.
Anyone seen a design for a "recoilless" version?

Re: Electric Desoldering Pump
released.

    Other than a multi-hundred dollar desoldering station, no.  That's why I
was looking to build my own using the compressor I already have.

        Norm

Re: Electric Desoldering Pump

A pump frm a refigerator works pretty well. But mind the oil vapors it
spews out.

Thomas

Re: Electric Desoldering Pump

|I've used them for 20+ years with no problem.
They're only good for small numbers of solder joints,though.

The MAIN problem with them is that you apply heat too long before sucking
out the solder,you can lift pads with them.

What about the venturi type of vacuum generator? You supply it with
pressurized air,and get vacuum from another port.
It's a small metal block.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net

Re: Electric Desoldering Pump
    That's exactly what I was asking about on rec.metalworking.  There's
apparently a $10 unit from Harbor Freight to do that.

        Norm

Re: Electric Desoldering Pump

Maybe if you took an ordinary one and stuck a flexible tube over the
nozzle and rigged up a cable release to trigger it? That way the sucker
kicks but the kick doesn't get transmitted to the workpiece... Just a
thought.

-- uns

Re: Electric Desoldering Pump

Also it stops the plastic nozzle getting quite so frazzled, because the
bit of Hellerman sleeve etc. ends up getting melted instead. Saves on buying
replacement nozzles!

Mike Brown: mjb[at]pootle.demon.co.uk | http://www.pootle.demon.co.uk /

Site Timeline