Re: Early rectangular 25 inch picture tube 25A, 25B ......... 23V

----- Original Message ----- From: "ancient-time-traveler" To: "William Sommerwerck" Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2008 9:28 PM Subject: Re: Early rectangular 25 inch picture tube 25A, 25B ......... 23V

>>> I verified its emission and it is exceptional. >> The beam current goes all the way to 11000 uA! > Hey Richard head leave me alone ................................ I > love to meet you face to face you coward.

Mr. McWhorter was so upset with my posting that he called three times. (His caller ID is shut off, so I didn't answer the first two calls, letting the machine take them. A person who hides their caller ID is hardly in a position to call someone else a coward.)

I monitored the third call, and as he then stated what his problem was (the first two calls were general attacks), I decided to pick up and speak with him.

He considers me a smart-ass (I probably am) who needlessly posted the above remark (also possible), which will likely ruin the sale of this tube (not at all likely). He considered the remark an attack intended to make him and the tube look bad. It didn't matter to him that its intent wasn't malicious; he perceived it as such, and that was all that mattered.

I asked him if he ever went to the movies. "I never go to the movies or watch TV. I have better things to do." He repeatedly refused to let me explain the joke, and finally suggested that if was such a good joke, I should explain it so that everyone could appreciate it.

I don't apologize for the remark, because it was the sort of wise-crack that commonly shows up in newsgroups. I assume most people got it. For those who didn't, including Mr. McWhorter, I'll explain it.

The 1984 comedy "This is Spinal Tap" is about a fictional heavy-metal band. It's presented as a documentary, with the film's producer (Rob Reiner) interviewing the group's members and surveying the goings-on of a touring rock group.

In one of the film's best-known scenes, Christopher Guest shows Reiner his collection of guitar amplifiers. He's particularly fond of one, whose gain control is labeled from 0 to 11, rather than the more-common 0 to 10. By his "reasoning", this means the amp can play louder, particularly at those times when 10 just isn't loud enough. "But this one goes to 11."

This joke has worked its way into popular culture. For example, in "Toy Story 2", the power control on Emperor Zurg's back is labelled from 1 to 11, with the 11 given emphasis.

Mr. McWhorter said the tube's emission was "exceptional", so I cracked "The beam current goes all the way to 11000 uA!".

Bada BING!

No?

Again, I do not apologize for making a joke that most people should get and is plainly innocuous. As to whether people in newsgroups _should_ post wisecracks -- which, admittedly, have no "real" function and waste bandwidth -- that's another matter. I say yes, that newsgroups serve a social as well as a practical function, and a bit of humor is fine. Reasonable people may differ.

I told Mr. McWhorter that if he ever wanted an ear to bend, about anything, he should feel free to call and I would listen seriously. And I meant it.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Sorry about this posting. I was intended for another group. I goofed.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

MY phone is in my post for all to see.............................

I call the author He said that he was making a JOKE. I already knew it was a joke. Although not obvious to a non-technical 11,000 is a ruinous smart aleck statement. He was trying to be smart-ass making me the butt of his mean-spirited joke. He was non apologetic and defend his attempt at humor. I did not post so that I could be made fun at. Hateful is mild to what I feel toward him. I loath such unwarranted trashing of my post. I object most vigorously He came across as arrogant and with a huge superiority complex needing to inject himself in such a way not to help but to show off how smart he is. I ask him not to post on my postings in the future . I was trying to sell a very coveted part that some collector would need and appreciate, Not to become a point of ridicule. That was his intent. I do NOT like people disrespecting me and laughing at me. He was very condescending on the phone. I believe a person who is really very smart does not try to do it at someones else's expense. I hope that this is not what this forum is all about. I told him he should try out his comedy out on a JOKE forum but leave me out of it, leave me alone. I will not tolerate it. Thank you Irvin Sr.

Reply to
ancient-time-traveler