Wanted CCFL tube for 22 inch widescreen LCD

Hi, fixing this for a friend. TV is a cheapo Argos (Wharfedale) 22 inch widescreen. One of the backlights has failed, causing the inverter to shut off after a few seconds. Confirmed failed lamp using a spare CCFL tube I have laying around. LCD panel (Samsung) has 4 tubes, 2 at the bottom and 2 at the top. Tube measures 480mm end to end. Wires are very closely soldered to the tube ends. Has anyone got any laying around, perhaps on a broken screen? Or where would be a good place to get one (UK)

I can pick one up online, but they seem to have longer ends for the wire connections, so we would probably have to get one with wires presoldered on, or go for one slightly shorter.

Getting the panel apart to gain access to the tubes was fun, I expect even more fun putting it back together and trying to keep it clean. Probably not really designed to be opened up, but the LCD itself is good.

Reply to
Clyde

How many inverters for the 4 tubes? I hope you marked the orientation of the diffuser sheets before removing. Is the failed one visibly different , ie blacking? Does it try striking but pink?

Reply to
N_Cook

Hi, the failed lamp is visibly darker on the end and does not strike at all. The inverter is on the power supply, 4 outputs (2 transformers). I haven't separated the diffuser sheets from each other in an effort to prevent contamination and to avoid incorrect orientation on reassembly, and have partially reassembled the screen to keep everything together while I try and locate a tube.

With another tube connected, plus the 3 good ones in the screen, the LCD works fine and displays a good image. With the bad tube in place the inverter will shut off a few seconds after power up. Initally before this diagnosis we had tried patching in a seperate inverter but the symptoms were identical.

Since it's only a cheap unit we have decided to take this approach rather than scrap the unit, since it would not be worthwhile to replace the whole LCD. Owner intends to use it as a bedroom set if we can get it functional.

Reply to
Clyde

In the USA we use CCFLWarehouse or their eBay store, Plasmo Industries. Possibly one of them would ship to the UK for a reasonable price.

Don't worry about the longer pins on the replacement CCFL, just trim them to length before soldering.

PlainBill

Reply to
PlainBill

Clyde Inscribed thus:

Where abouts in the UK ? I may be able to help...

--
Best Regards:
                          Baron.

Hi Baron I'm in Liverpool

Reply to
Clyde

Clyde Inscribed thus:

Ahh ! A bit too far west of me. Wrong end of M62. Anyway I have spare tubes and screens. Email me...

--
Best Regards:
                          Baron.