RCa TV problem

x-no-archive:yes

I have a 90's model or so cabinet RCA tv in my living room that for years now the over the air chanels will go out intermitantly and screech then come back on. They seem more pronounced on my weaker stations.

Been debating trying to fix this myself or buying an HDTV converter and using that as the tuner. (I can use my vcr tuner and the problem is better but picture quality is not that great.)

I have read something about RCA's having solder problems. This is a longshot but can anyone walk me through doing that repair? I have soldered automotive wiring before but not circuit boards. I think I could do it if someone could direct me where I would need to.

or whould it be less risky and better to just find an HDTV tuner like I said? Thi is my living room tv and I would like to keep it for awhile.

Reply to
stryped

Read the safety stuff, and then a bit down the page is a link for RCA tuner and EEPROM problems. This is a tricky procedure for inexperienced solderers, and you couild easily make it worse. this is a very well-documented repair, and most shops, especially RCA/GE shops, can do this repair reliably. Good luck.

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

x-no-archive:yes

Is it ok to use a solder> >

Reply to
stryped

Always use regular rosin core solder for electronic work. Usually the 60/40 for general work.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery