Radiators adversely affecting CRTs?

OK so I've only just started to put this together..

About a year ago my TV (28" Sony Trinitron) started to lose picture completely every 5-20 seconds when displaying bright images, so I thought right, it's quite old (1997 ish?) so maybe it's just on the way out. Thought nothing of it other than "I need to buy a new TV"

2 weeks ago I rearranged this room, and now my computer monitor (22" Sun Microsystems X7149A CRT) is about 2 feet away from where the TV is. Today I've noticed the EXACT same symptons my TV started exhibiting about a year ago, although a lot less frequent. The screen loses picture (just goes black) for about half a second, approximately once an hour. Which is how the TV started off, and got worse kinda fast.

Now, I thought maybe it's because I have hi-fi speakers both by the TV and my monitor. (Magnetism) But then I thought it can't be that because I've had hi-fi speakers next to my monitor (this one and my previous one) for about 7 years. So I thought about the other common factors..the only thing I can think of is there's a radiator in this corner of the room, which the monitor and TV are equal distance from (about 1.5 feet) Does heat have this sort of effect on CRTs? I'd kinda like this screen not to die the death that my TV is undergoing..

Any ideas? Even better any ideas how to FIX my TV? lol (that's probably hoping for too much :P)

Reply to
atomyc

By put this together I meant, realise that the two may have something in common (since they're in similar places). Just thought I'd make that clear.

Reply to
atomyc

Hi!

What type of radiator is this? Is it an electric type or is it connected to a boiler of some kind?

Heat could certainly be a concern here, but I wouldn't think it could such sudden malfunctions from 1.5 feet away. Can you be comfortable that far from the radiator?

I'd hazard a guess that you've plugged the monitor into the same outlet that the TV was plugged into. If so, I'd look there for a problem...such as low, high or unstable voltage. Get a good voltage meter or call an electrician to check the outlet. Find out what else may be on that circuit...is there anything that pulls a large amount of current and might cycle on or off about hourly?

If your TV is still working at all and you want to have it fixed, take it to a repair shop promptly. Any repairs that must be done to it will be less expensive while the set is still "working". Waiting until it fails entirely will result in a much larger repair bill. As for your monitor, I'd move it away from that outlet (use an extension cord and plug it in somewhere else?) and see what happens.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Hello, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com! You wrote on 29 Jan 2006 14:48:54 -0800:

a> By put this together I meant, realise that the two may have something a> in common (since they're in similar places). Just thought I'd make that a> clear.

I don't think the heat will affect a crt to any degree unless its hot enough to warp the shadow mask, but the heat could dry out the electrolytic caps in the PSU which could explain the symptoms. Probably a cheap enough fix if you get it done now.

With best regards, 3T39. E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
3T39

Now, with that power comment you may just have hit the nail on the head..everything in this room and I mean -everything- runs from a single outlet, since this house is quite old they didn't really need more than 1 outlet when it was built.. As for the heat output on the radiator it's not very hot in the day its an "Economy 7" storage heater, turns on between 1 am and 7am and slowly releases heat throughout the day.

Reply to
atomyc

I'd say it's either a fault with the power outlet there or a freaky coincidence.

Reply to
James Sweet

Could be there's some heavy power drain for a second or so on that line. Do you have a fridge or air conditioner plugged into that outlet or line?

Reply to
Ancient_Hacker

Hi!

Define "everything"...how many and what kind of devices run from this outlet?

It sounds overloaded to me...especially if your home is quite old. If the wiring in your home is in otherwise good shape, you might consider expanding the wiring and number of circuits you have. Be careful not to overload the capacity of the electrical system.

If the wiring is not in such good shape, you might look into renovating it or upgrading the system entirely. Old wiring can be perfectly serviceable, but sometimes it needs a little help, especially after many years of service.

In any case, you should do something. Electrical fires are not fun.

Hmmm...still not sure what kind it is, but I'd be surprised if the heat coming from it was the problem. If it is electrical, then it could be overloading something.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Well I've determined that it's not the power (I think) by using an extension cord from downstairs (it's on a separate ring) and the problem's still the same. As for the overloading issue, I've been running all this for about 5 years from that socket lol, so it's probably not that. Running from that single socket is: TV, Computer, Monitor, 2 Stereos, Lamp, DVD Player, PS2, Phone Charger, iPod Charger, Guitar Amplifier. Rarely if not never, used all at once though. I think the TV's just broken, as it's quite old (1998 ish?) Only way to stop it losing picture is to turn the brightness right down, making the picture almost unwatchable in some situations. I'm guessing it's either not fixable, or would be rather expensive. Should I just junk it and get a new one? (Not that I can afford that right now, probably gonna get a plasma/lcd when I get a new TV.

Reply to
atomyc