Protron PL32 TV short?

Story so far: Was given a PL32, - the one with the endemically bad power adapter, - without a power adapter.

Bought a new one to test the TV.

Plugged it in and ac plug shorted relatively badly when put in wall socket. TV apparently dead.

Unplugged power adapter from TV and adapter starts to glow green properly on power light. Plugged it in to TV again and green light goes out. Unplugged from power.

Tried plugging power cord into wall again and shorts with large spark again

Does anyone know whether this TV is terminal or can conceivably be repaired at any sort of reasonable cost? There seems to be something called a Protron PLTV-3250 Power Supply FSP194-3F01 which costs $80. It cant possibly be worth spending that much on a potential repair part can it? The part (if this is what it is!) describes itself as being "Air cooled, no fan required, operating temperature 0-55=B0C. Built-in short circuit, over voltage, and over current protection"

Reply to
Amanda Ripanykhazov

my advice is that you take it to someone who knows what they are doing. It woudl appear from your post that you are not technically minded and will waste time and money and probably make things worse by continuing.

-B

I fear you are absolutely right: having found that the adapter blowing took the power supply with it, I am going to dump this set. There is nowhere here in New York where a TV can be repaired at any sort of reasonable cost. I tried looking at the power supply yesterday to see if any caps were obviously blown and despite taking off about a hundred screws, couldnt even get the back of the set off!!

Reply to
Amanda Ripanykhazov

ng

as

Don't dump it, put int on your local freecycle. Bound to be someone there who will be interested in it, even if only for parts.