Problems with Direct TV satellite signal....

Ok first of all Im not trying to do anyting illegal, I had 5 diferents Direct TV tech in my house to repair a dead sat signal in one of four rooms....they will repair the line and after a week or heavy rain the sat box will come up with "searching for sat signal..." message. I got tired of calling and waiting and took it upon myself....plus the warranty is out by now..:( I found the the LNB is where the signal dies...now this a 3 "element" (???) LNB and I get the hispanic channels package and the standard ones, just in case this makes a difference....

My first question, if one element is bad and there is 4 connections coming out of the antenna going to 4 TV's and only 3 elements, how can one output go out affecting only one TV???

second question, If I get a hold of another LNB should this fix the problem??? IS there a special code thats inscripted on the LNB before it connects to the sat, (as in security reasons or legality reasons...)? The problem was in the antenna the whole time and the techs were lost ,or I guess they didnt feel like climbing on my hot attic....:)

Reply to
amolao

kip

I have a two receiver system in my house and I'm not familiar with the setup for four, but I'll take a stab at this anyway... perhaps because the last poster was so rude. Keep in mind I'm guessing at some of this.... If there are four lines coming down from the LNB, it should be a simple matter of swapping the "bad" one with a working one to see if the problem follows the swap. If so, you know it's a bad LNB. Three satellites mean three feedhorns at slightly different positions on the dish face, but all receivers have equal access to all signals, right? That must mean all four dish outputs are the same. So, there must be some sort of built-in splitter to feed those output lines. One of the splitter outputs could be failing.

There are no security issues I know of with regards changing an LNB. The hardware is yours, I assume. The problem might be a bad LNB (actually the splitter) or one bad cable between the dish and the "dead" receiver that's contaminated with water, pinched somewhere, or whatever. A line swap should get you on top of what's happening before you plunk down any money for replacement parts. Good hunting!

Ray

--

My return addy is spamblocked. To reply, remove the zeroes.
Reply to