Preventing TV standby mode

I have a Jensen flatscreen TV set (model Q2049J) and have connected its power cord to my cable box so that the TV gets turned on/off at the same time as my cable box. The problem is that whenever the TV comes on, it is in "standby" mode (indicated by a red light, instead of a green one) and requires me to press the power button to watch TV. How can I set it up so that it does not revert to "standby" mode every time I turn it on? I want to only have to press 1 button (the cable power) to turn it all on.

The TV manual doesn't address this and I don't see an option for it in the menus.

Thanks, Greg

Reply to
emulemul

There's no way to do this on most sets, Sony is the only I'm aware of that can remember it's previous state. Plug the TV into the wall and use it's power control. You could leave the cable box on all the time if you only want one power button, it likely only takes a 3 or 4 watts more whne it's on than when it's "off" which is really just standby.

Reply to
James Sweet

Some TVs remember their last power on state (most Sonys), but most default to off after they've been unplugged. There's no way around this.

You should just leave the cable box on all the time. There's no reason to turn it off since they're internally always on. The power switch on most cable boxes just turns the switched AC outlet on and off and might mute the audio and video too. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

I just found out Jensen TVs are made by Audiovox. They sure don't make themselves easy to find on the web under the name "Jensen". Not very customer-friendly.

Thanks for the responses.

Reply to
emulemul

Isn't Audiovox just another name slapped on Funai or Orion junk? Brands are all but meaningless anymore.

Reply to
James Sweet

Use a remote control that can be programmed with "macros".

Reply to
reply

As previously suggested get a remote control with a macro function.

Other ways of doing this would be to get a learning remote control, butcher it for its innards and program a button to to turn on the TV.

Make a simple single shot trigger which triggers when the power is turned on to the set and use this to "press" the button on the remote hence turning on the television as soon as the power is applied.

Reply to
Dom