Power Supply For HP dv1040us Laptop

Does anyone know if a novice armed with just a few Phillips screwdrivers can easily replace the power supply of an HP dv1040us laptop?

Where would I purchase such power supply?

Apparently mine has died and the laptop does not boot up. I cannot hear the inside fans turning nor the hard drive spinning.

--
tb
Reply to

Does anyone know if a novice armed with just a few Phillips screwdrivers can easily replace the power supply of an HP dv1040us laptop?

Where would I purchase such power supply?

Apparently mine has died and the laptop does not boot up. I cannot hear the inside fans turning nor the hard drive spinning.

--
tb

Ebay would be a good start. Just buy one and plug it in.
Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

I just purchased a new power supply for my Toshiba Satellite laptop from Amazon. Just do a search for power supply and your laptop model number, and I'm sure you will get a bunch of hits. The price was very low... $8. I have been using it for about a week now, and it seems OK.

Reply to
Matthew Fries

To the OP: Your question is worded in such a way that it appears you think the power supply is inside the laptop. It isn't. It is that black rectangular thing half way along the power cord. The supplies themselves don't fail that often, but the connectors that plug into the computer do. See if you can borrow a friend's power supply to test your theory. If the supply or its connector is bad, you can easily find replacements online or at stores. Googling your model number resulted in many ads for replacement power supplies. If, however, the connector in the computer is bad, you will have to have it repaired by someone with more tools than a few Phillips screwdrivers. Good luck.

Reply to
Pat

Beware of novices bearing screwdrivers.

eBay:

Power supplies will die, but I've seen more HP laptops with broken power connectors and power supplies with broken power plugs. That style of plug has a very fine wire in the center of the cable. If you bend the cable 90 degrees where it enters the plug, it will eventually break. If that happens, you can still run the laptop with the power supply plugged in, but it will not charge the battery.

You might want to take a VOM (volt-ohms-guesser) and measure the voltage coming out of the power supply (without the laptop). It should be about 18.5 VDC. If that's what you're seeing, then look for a problem elsewhere.

Good luck.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Oops. That's wrong. The proper charger connector does NOT have the broken center wire problem. I was thinking of this connector: which is for a different model.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

I see... I always thought that the black rectangular thing was called an AC/DC converter. I also thought that inside the laptop there would be some sort of power supply with power cables that would go to the fans, the hard drive, the graphics card,etc.; just like in a desktop computer. I'm not much of a techie...

--
tb
Reply to

AC/DC converter is another name for a power supply. As someone else said, this particular power supply takes 120 VAC in and provides 18.5 or 19 volts DC out. Insiode the laptop, that 19 volts gets regulated by other components on the motherboard and reduced to the various voltages needed by the chips (eg, 5 volts, 3.3 volts, etc). If those circuits on the motherboard have failed, it is likely you need to replace the motherboard. It may or may not be cost effective to do.

Reply to
Pat