Anyone help me with component ID for X5DIJ-SX039C laptop (k501j mobo)?

Went to try to fix my daughters ASUS laptop and made it much worse :) She did not have her power supply so I used mine - I have an ASUS netbook. The plug was not the same but the VA are so I rigged up what I thought was the correct one but when I plugged it in it would not light the "PSU conne cted light". Although the laptop worked, without a charger it was no use.

As it was working before I got my hands on it I assume my connector somehow caused the PSU circuit to blow. The DC Jack goes to a plug on the mobo an d I tested it in situ - there was 19v at the mobo socket, so the prob is fu rther down the line.

I had to take the laptop completely apart to get at the mobo components to test points, and cannot easily re-connect everything to test the whole. I s tripped it down and sure enough there is a burnt-out component - looks like a SM cap (MLCC) but cannot be 100% certain due to ignorance.

The mobo is an asus k501j

Found the schematic

although it is for rev 1.1 and my board is rev 2.1) so have extracted the PSU Section and added it to the pho to.

It looks as if the burnt one is an MLCC - a capacitor but, as I am not sure I have got the right schematic and cannot trace the wiring on the board it self (it is too thick) I guess I can only go ahead and replace it and hope for the best.

Can I test the mobo with nothing apart from power or do I need to reassembl e? Can I simply remove the component and see if the laptop works without it ? There could be a further fault. Presumably I do not need a MLCC - a regu lar cap would do it provided it is rated at 25v? Thought I could maybe try to find one on an old computer board as it looks like you cannot easily buy just one MLCC.

Hers a photo of the mobo showing the component and the schematic:

Here is a bigger pic of just the mobo:

ear_zps25b04b6d.jpg

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Reply to
Chris from London

"Chris from London"

** What I see your arrow pointing at is a burnt looking SMD tantalum cap (C6802) and immediately to it's left a missing part - Schottky diode (D6801). The cap further to the left is an MLCC.

With reverse polarity at the DC jack, the diode would heat, melt the solder and fall off the PCB - then the tantalum cops reverse voltage and explodes.

I strongly suspect there is other damage too.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Welcome to Learn by Destroying(tm).

It's not the power (VA) that needs to be the same. It's the polarity, voltage, and current rating. The polarity and voltage need to be exact. The current rating can be higher.

So, just buy the correct charger and try it.

Offhand, I would guess that you applied reverse power. Please check and compare the polarity markings on the laptop serial number tag and the charger.

I took the liberty of expanding your photo so I could see the components. The "hole" in the burnt out component is characteristic of applying reverse polarity to an active device such as a diode. I would guess that the diode exploded, blowing the top off the epoxy package.

As Phil notes, there could be other damage. I think this is going to be an uphill battle and a difficult fix. Good luck.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature

In article , Jeff Liebermann writes

The 8-pin IC next to it also looks burnt.

To the OP: forget it, this is not economically repairable. Buy your daughter a new machine and use the correct charger in future.

--
 (\_/)
(='.'=)
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

A diode is not an active device

Reply to
dave

It was pretty active there for a second.

Reply to
jurb6006

In article , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

Heh. Probably sacrificed itself to protect the fuse.

--
 (\_/)
(='.'=)
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Then explain the Gunn Diode. DC in, RF out. How about LEDs? DC in, Photons out.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

An active device is any type of circuit component with the ability to electrically control electron flow (electricity controlling electricity). In order for a circuit to be properly called electronic, it must contain at least one active device. Components incapable of controlling current by means of another electrical signal are called passive devices. Resistors, capacitors, inductors, transformers, and even diodes are all considered passive devices.

dave

Also the tunnel diode.

Reply to
jurb6006

"dave"

** Most sources say it is classed as one.
** And Wiki says otherwise:

Semiconductors and vacuum tubes are automatically "active devices".

So that includes solid state and vacuum diodes too.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison
** And Wiki says otherwise:

Wikipedia is wrong.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

In 2013 Wikipedia was compared to a major printed encyclopedia (I don't remember which right now) and the percentage of errors was pretty much the same for both. This is not to say that the errors were the same or on the same subject or in any other way related except that they were errors. The point is that they both contain errors. So William could indeed be correct when he says that Wikipedia is wrong. If that is truly the case then I think it would be a good thing if he corrected the Wikipedia article and used references to back up the correction. I really appreciate all the time folks have spent, and continue to spend, on entries to Wikipedia. It is obvious that many people have spent many hours researching, documenting, and writing for Wikipedia and all this effort is unpaid. Since I have so far not been able to contribute any information to Wikipedia my only recourse has been to contribut cash. I hope William has the time and inclination to correct the errors he has seen on this subject in Wikipedia. Eric

etpm

** Fuck off - you trolling idiot.
Reply to
Phil Allison

Wiki is the style of the reference. It doesn't really speak. Many things oscillate when excited but they don't control anything. Is a quartz crystal an active device?

Reply to
dave

"dave"

Fuck off - TENTH wit TROLL !!

Reply to
Phil Allison

But wikipedia is for everyone.

The fact that someone doesn't know anything doesn't matter. They read a book or see a movie, and then start an entry for it. They aren't allowed to "create the facts" themselves, they have to have references. I've seen entries that are like short versions of books, people able to point to the bit in the book, but unable to evaluate the information because they've not read anything more.

The first time I saw mention of wikipedia, someone had pointed to the entry for Don Lancaster's TV Typewriter. But for some reason, someone missed the early details, just had information from the second book (where he jammed NOPs into a CPU so it would advance the address counter and thus cycle through memory). But someone didn't know that there was the earlier method with counters and all that, so they couldn't question what was missing or wrong. I said "but that's not complete" and detailed why. A couple of days later, someone had fixed the entry.

Of course, some of the errors come because there's not enough unifying. My great, great, great grandfather has an entry, it mentions one of the children being married to another entry, but in that entry for the husband, it gets the ancestry wrong, and I don't think the husband has a link to my ancestor. Two entries that have different information should indicate something is wrong, but if nobody looks at both entries (and they might not know of the other entry, or the connection) then they'll never know one has bad information.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

How does the Gunn diode oscillate without gain? How does it have gain, if it isn't an active component?

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

No. It needs external gain, and an initial shock to start the oscillation. That is usually supplied by the power up delay as the gain block starts to function.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

It is not a switch or a valve.

Reply to