Laptop power supply

Hi everybody My daughter laptop (Dell Latitude M700) power connector is busted beyond repair. I mean the one inside of the laptop, The (coaxial) connector is marked Foxconn "1430k". Question #1: Does anybody except Dell use this connector? Question #2: Does Dell use same power supply voltage/polarity?

Why can't they make power connectors that do not look like 1.5" long levers? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Reply to
Michael

Recommend posting the dimensions of the coaxial plug (e.g., barrel OD, ID, length) and a couple of views each of the plug and receptacle. The pictures could be uploaded to someplace like

and a link posted here.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

I took it for granted that everybody knows how "Dell power connector" looks. My UNeducated guess: every Dell laptop younger than...er... three(?) years uses it.

Reply to
Michael

How about the power supply model or part number? There are pictures online of almost every laptop power supply ever made. Someone may even have a spare supply laying around, or you can pick one up on E-bay.

aioe.org, Goggle Groups, and Web TV users must request to be white listed, or I will not see your messages.

If you have broadband, your ISP may have a NNTP news server included in your account:

There are two kinds of people on this earth: The crazy, and the insane. The first sign of insanity is denying that you're crazy.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I believe that you can get replacement connectors via ebay for a few $. Replacing the connector is fairly straightforward if you are able to follow the disassembly procedure described in the manual (should be downloadable from Dell). I've repaired a few, usually managing to rewire the broken internal joints then using araldite to provide more support. It takes a couple of hours, needs small screwdrivers and some soldering. hth Neil

Reply to
Neil

I wouldn't touch a Dell lapdog - even using a bargepole with Prince Phillips nob on the end of it!

Reply to
Frithiof Jensen

I am trying to get the connector end for a D-600 90W power supply. The wires are busted and its molded on. Ant suggestions? By the way, there are two circuits plus a ground return in these connectors for some proprietary nonsense.

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Treason doth never prosper: what\'s the reason?

"Follow The Money"  ;-P
Reply to
RFI-EMI-GUY

You didn't give the model number of the power supply, but the first Google hit gives this for the PA-10: which says the connector is

7.4 mm O.D. nd 5.0 mm I.D.

There are piles of PA-10 on E-bay for about $20. Good luck finding just the connector.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

and ebay isn't the place to find a connector by buying a used PSU. I bought a "condition unknown" PA6 for the connector/lead as these are a proprietary (non-concentric) style. Turned out the PSU itself is fine, but the cable has died of fatigue at the entry to the (proprietary) connector :-(

Reply to
rebel

By telling us the power supply model number we could have looked up pictures of what you need, rather than guessing. There are new power supplies on Ebay and the internet at reasonable prices if you look for them. Any of the high current connectors have problems. The original coaxxial types were crimped together and never intended for high current. That is why you are seeing more propritary designs, trying to eliminate problems. I have a dead Dell optiplex SX260 desktop with a DA-1 external supply that is 12 V at 12 A with a large six pin connector I've never seen.

Here is a photo I found online. It took less than a minute to find:

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Mike, I'm confused if that reply is to my post. I did indicate the PSU model#.

Finding a photo is interesting in itself, but what I would like to find is a source for the connectors. The type used on the PA6 can be seen at

(not a great pic) or ebay item 150317739094

and they *regularly* fail from fatigue.

The brand-X replacement adaptors (PSUs) are cheap - $US18 ex China in 50-up quantities ...

Reply to
rebel

bought a

has

D-600? They didn't help. It pointed to various power supplies. The PA-6 is a valid PS model number. :)

I have never found a source for that connector. I have two older Dell laptops & two power supplies that use it. If I had a bad cable I would attempt to cut away part of the plastic to get to the pins, or at least to undamaged wires. I would solder new wire, and insulate them, then use a short piece of heat shrink over the rest of the connector body (Making sure it will still clear the jack), then fill the heatshrink with epoxy. I've done this for irreplaceable connectors for decades, and as long as the pins are still good in the old connector I end up with a serviceable cable. A couple different sizes of smaller heat shrink over the jacket of the cable will make a fairly decent strain relief they are applied before the epoxy is used, and they go as deep as you can, within reason.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell
[snip]...

Ewwwwh!

When confronted with a similar (sized) problem I welded ;-)

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

Usenet posts via gmail, yahoo, hotmail, aioe, uar or googlegroups are now automatically kill-filed using Agent v5.0

To be white-listed, send request via the E-mail icon on my website

bought a

has

model#.

Ahh, so you WERE confusing my post with another (RFI-EMI-GUY) one - my first msg in this thread cited the PA-6

That's how I have done them too, but the fracture in this case appears to be exactly at the commencement of the moulded connector body, giving a potential piece of cable the size of a flea's dick to solder to. Seems the PSU itself never fails, only the cable fatigues.

Reply to
rebel

I've spent years hand soldering Surface Mount components under a stereo microscope, so any remaining metal is fair game. :)

I have seen some bad power supplies, as well. The older ones had screws to open the case. The newer designs are often ultrasonic welded plastic.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

he

re

st

ding

bought a

ry

able has

:

I managed to tack wires to the busted connector I pulled out of laptop. The rest was easy: connected these three wires to the wires I soldered to the board and plug a Dell power supply from company Dell laptop (different model, but same connector and apparently same voltage). Laptop works and I can justify $20 for power adapter of my own from ebay. Wooohooo - less stuff going to landfill.

Reply to
Michael

. The

there

first

is

finding

=A0I bought a

etary

e cable has

up

SU model#.

=A0The

or

d:

is a

0-up

ell

FYI: hot melt glue is excellent stuff to insulate and hold thing together.

Reply to
Michael

It dosen't work as well as epoxy in some applications. It is almost impossible to get the entire amount to melt at the same time. Also, there are different grades. The plugs I've repaired needed to be reay for rugged service, and I never had any luck with the softer hot melt glue. For things that are rarely unpluged it might be ok, but some were used dozens of times a day on the bench for production testing. In those cases, Epoxy was the right choice.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

bought a

has