Anyone know why mosfets do not come with zeners added on the gates?

It doesn't seem like the zener capacitance or leakage would outweigh the benefit of the protection in most cases?

Reply to
DonMack

"DonMack"

** The vast majority ( maybe all ) power MOSFETs have gate zeners.

IME - only small signal mosfets lack them.

Look at the specs for Gate to Source voltage - if it says something like

+/- 20 volts max - there ARE zeners.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

You mean something on the line of this?

Basically, "Auto Protected" types

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

They have that spec because more than 20 volts could blow out the gate oxide.

If they had a zener, the spec would be asymmetric, lower for the negative-gate direction on n-fets, because the zener would forward bias.

The power fets I've tested seem to have essentially infinite-Z gates that blow out at, typically, 70 volts maybe.

John

"John Larkin" "Phil Allison"

** They use " zeners " plural - two of them , back to back.

Imbecile.

** Some have 'em and some do not.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Rarely. Stop speculating and test some real fets.

Dreamer.

John

Most always none.

Since you think most mosfets have zeners, take all your fets and drive the gates at 200 volts through a 1M resistor. They should all be OK.

John

"John Larkin" "Phil Allison"

** Most power mosfets that I see do.

BUZ901, 905 etc, 2SK176, 56 etc

Mad to say that they MUST have only 1 zener, like you did.

Fuckhead.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

ST Micro has a number of zener-protected FETs.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Err...just because the spec states that, does NOT mean the gates are protected. Look again, carefully.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Err..some gate-protected MOSFETS use back-to-back zeners, making the protection symmetrical; see the STM Fets..

Reply to
Robert Baer

True, but gate-protected fets are the minority. Most mosfets will be destroyed by applying enough gate voltage, even if current-limited. I tried a couple yesterday, TO92 and TO220, and indeed blew them out, ballpark 70 volts.

Some of the Freescale RF laterals are rated +12, -0.5 max gate voltage, so they may have single zeners. Being RF parts, the DC specs of course suck, so it's hard to tell what's inside.

Poking around some web sites a bit, I didn't see any gate-protected IR parts, and a minority of the ON parts seem to have zeners.

Try a few.

John

Baers seem to make that "Err..." noise a lot. Perhaps just in the mating season.

John

Look...Baers must growl _someimes_ to show that they are really baers.

Reply to
Robert Baer

like

Well, lolly gag around showing your bare ass at home, and stop lolly gagging around showing it here.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

No, most definitely not. Extra zeners would add extra capacitance which you don't want in a switching application. And there are other drawbacks using zeners. I recall reading an application note which warns against using zeners to protect the gate of a Mosfet. I forgot the details. Ask Google.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Based on a bit of datasheet prowling, none of the IR parts seem to have gate zeners. With enough gate capacitance, the ESD hazard is small.

I've tested a few mosfets that we have in stock, and none have gate zeners. It takes essentially zero current to blow out the gates.

John

Are you answering your own question here? The simple answer to the Q on the subject line is, it would cost more.

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

"Nico Coesel"