Portable phone batteries

Where's a good online place to get those 3 AA nicad battery packs for cordless phones? Doesn't need to have the correct connector, I can solder that on from the old one, just looking for a source that's "good AND cheap" ;-) Alternately I can just use 3 aa nicads, but I always feel apprehensive about soldering directly to the cells.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

By the time you get done screwing around looking, and paying shipping, you could buy a pack at the local Wal-Mart/K-Mart or other store which may carry such devices. Probably - cheaper. AND nine chances out of 10, it will have the proper connector on it already. Most packs I've seen run about $4 - 6 at most - some more. But shipping from any company is going to cost you almost that not including the cost of the pack.

Just my 2 cents.

cl

Reply to
cl

All Electronics usually has some cheap ones.

Reply to
James Sweet

solder

carry

at

almost

True, though I usually just wait until I have other stuff I need to order at the same time, and then I get several packs at once.

Reply to
James Sweet

i prefer to solder myself becasue i can buy higher quality cells at a better price,

just sand them a bit and take care not to clog the small hole when soldereing.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

I've had really good luck buying various configurations of three and four AA packs by looking for them at Office Depot and similar places. Just wait for them to close out the packs for discontinued models of phones. Of course there is a proprietary plastic module, or perhaps an odd plug attached, but you are really only after the cells...which are already configured into packs of three or four, just waiting for you to attach a new plug, or to shoehorn into your old pack.

There's half a dozen new ones in a drawer on my desk right now...none of which I paid more than $5 for...usually around $1.99 or even less.

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

Thanks, I'll try there. Checked at walmart, as was suggested, 13 bucks, unspecified mah ;-( As for loose rechargables, all they had there was nimh. Don't know what Rat Shack gets for single nicads. All Electronics has 700 mah nicad aa's for 1.25 each, that's my backup plan ;-)

Dan

jakdedert wrote:

Reply to
Dan

Ditto on that Wal-Mart source. I buy mine there all the time. All you have to do is match up the battery size/cluster and voltage. It doesn't HAVE to be the exact replacement battery for your particular phone just as long as the module has the right number of cells and is the right shape to fit in your phone. For instance I have a couple of Sony cordless phones around the house and the replacement batteries for them are always priced higher simply because they're for Sony's. The replacements for Toshiba/GE brand phones are identical except the polarity on the leads is reversed and they cost 4 bucks less.(around 6 dollars as I recall.) All I had to do was resolder the leads and they worked in my Sony phones just fine. Just match up the shape/voltage and buy the cheaper then solder on the leads from your old battery.

Reply to
none