RECHARGEABLE ALKALINE BATTERIES

I just found 8 rechargeable alkaline D cells at the dump. I would like to try to charge them but am not sure what the correct way to do this is. Can i follow the same procedure i usually use for nicads that is

10 percent of the rate for about 16 hours? Thanks, Lenny.
Reply to
captainvideo462002

That is definitely NOT what you want to do. You need some real info, but IIRC, they're charged much like lithium. Constant current up to a terminal voltage. You need to figger out what that terminal voltage is. 1.6V sticks in my mind, but if I'm wrong you'll make 'em leak. Look it up. mike

--
Wanted, Serial cable for Dell Axim X5 PDA.
with links.  Delete this sig when replying.

Hi...

I wouldn't if I were you...

I don't have any D's, but do have a few AA's and a charger...

Perhaps you can interpolate AA's and D's, so checked for you. The AA's draw 70 mils until they reach 1.61 volts - then drops to 20 ma and looks like it wants to stay at 20 forever.

There are a few combo nimh/rechargable alkaline chargers out there, I know Eveready makes one that takes all sizes, Walmart, about 25 bucks cdn.

Remember before you spend too much though, that you found 'em in a dump, and there may well be good reason they were there :)

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

Lenny: Even when they were new.... rechargable alkalines were a bust and did not perform well and did not have adequate discharge/recharge cycles. Take them back to the dump. electricitym

--------------

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
electricitym

Are these the Rayovac rechargables? If so, Rayovac sold a special charger for them. They are probably available on ebay now for cheap, because those batteries have now been discontinued.

There's a good chance that the batteries you found are dead. Do you measure any voltage across them?

Others have reported these cells to be failures, but I've had good luck with them. I'm sorry they disappeared from the market. I still have quite a few, and a good charger, so if your cells measure over .5V I'd be happy to take them off your hands.

-

Jim Adney

The only point about rechargeable alkaline for me are the 1.5v instead of the 1.2v rechargeables which do not work in some devices. They also don,t leave in the " dark " without any warning. I never got used to it. I use portable lighting every night. Watch out for any chinese type "D" cells wether brand name or not. I took one apart and it had a "C" size suspended inside. I prefer to do my own D cells out of C cells by using a white pvc pipe as a sleeve. There is one situation that you can get the same voltage with the 1.2 volt cells. I have a 4 cell D size mag that can take five c size in a pvc sleeve for equal voltage.

Reply to
NN