Portable A/C

Get one with two hoses, the single hose ones cause a fair bit of outside air to infiltrate in

Reply to
Abby Normal

Ahh I see I have a fan:) thats awesome makes for great debates that invaribly I win.

Locally a portable unit is 450 bucks

thats kinda pricey

You can buy 3 5000 BTU windows units and have bucks left over.

plus no messing with condensate drain, noise mostly outside, walk from room to room in comfort.

plus often its useful to cool say a bedroom before bedtime.

with a portable it will already be in use.

so please explain why my advice is bad. sure portables have their place but its not a mainstream product, since its cost is high

Reply to
hallerb

Wish I had known about the two hose units! :( Now that I think back, I seem to recall two hose units, but didn't realize the purpose. Unfortunately, never saw any two-hose units when I was ready to buy, and likely the PC Richards people wouldna known what they were for, either.

Good link, but website wasn't that informative--no price, EER. Any ideas? Other observations good as well. Prodigious condensate. I "prefer" to empty buckets/use the water, but it is a chore. A pump to a storage barrel would be better. The 850 watt Amana can readily fill a 5 gal pail in 24 hrs.

--
------
Mr. P.V.'d  (formerly Droll Troll), Yonkers, NY

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs

> There are plenty of options out there though, so do your research...

Proctologically Violated©®

If you want me to educate you, pay me.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Reply to
.p.jm

Fry's Electronics has been advertising them.

Reply to
ValveJob

They're all pretty much the same, there's virtually no difference at all between the small rotary compressors they use, and they're all about the same efficiency (not very) due to mandated standards. Buy one that has the features and cosmetic design you like.

Reply to
James Sweet

The OP said he didn't require heating. I think you're a bit on the high side in your heat output estimate. I think 400 watts for a residential unit would be more realistic. You're dropping the relative humidity which will affect latent heat, and the units themselves only draw 600-800 watts. Even a heating element isn't 100% efficient.

Dehumidifiers don't use heating elements, they just pass the chilled dehumidified air through the condenser which heats it back up. There's some net gain, since the power consumed by the compressor (about 400W) becomes heat.

Reply to
James Sweet

What would be realistic is :

The total power consumption of the unit plus The latent heat of condensation of any water it takes out.

100 % of the above will be sensible heat in the space.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Reply to
.p.jm

*If* installed properly! :-)
Reply to
<kjpro

Not another one...

Since when is electric heat not 100% efficient?

Reply to
<kjpro

What are you using the water for?

Reply to
<kjpro

Or you can add a condensate pump for about $40.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Yep. Think of it as a swamp cooler in reverse. An unswamp heater.

Psychrometrics are not so favorable, however. It's a dry heat.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

I prefer to haul it out in 5 gal buckets--water ther tomatoes and whatnot.

Reply to
Jeffrey Lebowski

BULLSHIT

I guess you're a Edenpure believer too???

What a crock of shit that is!!

Reply to
<kjpro

BULLSHIT

I guess you're a Edenpure believer too???

What a crock of shit that is!!

Reply to
<kjpro

in

From elsewhere, I know he's also a machinist--and so probly he uses it ( as do I ) to mix with water soluble cutting oil or synthetic instead of buying DI water...just need to add an anti-microbial..

Reply to
Jeffrey Lebowski

Well, it will produce more than 800 watts worth of heat. Where did the extra come from, the condensing of the water from the air. When water vapor is condensed to liquid, it gives up heat.

David

Reply to
David

Where was the heat in the first place?