Plasma glow question

We just got a new Plasma TV last night. We had the TV on for about 5 hrs and then turned off and went to bed. There was a strange glow on it. I thought it was just the electrons going down the energy levels and emitting some phospherescence or sthng??? Anyway, I woke up at 5 30 AM and it was still glowing.. ANyone know why?

Reply to
rpertaub

You weren't watching ghost movies, were you?

--
    A staffer for Democrat Senator Maria Cantwell of Washington has been
    arrested for trying to arrange a sexual tryst with a 13-year old boy.

ectoplasma

Reply to
N Cook

Well, remember those old radium watch dials...

Reply to
PeterD

Residual static charge? If it's cold where you are, do you have a humidifier? Plasma TV's need to keep the electrodes slightly charged to get a picture. Maybe your TV keeps them charged even when the TV is 'off' for a faster startup?

Reminds me of what I used to do with a CRT TV years ago. I would close my eyes for awhile to get dark adjusted. I would then turn off the TV. You can then 'draw' on the screen with your finger for awhile.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross
Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

I remember them and all the workers who painted the radium paint onto the dial and hands who got cancer because they put the brush between their lips to shape it into a fine point.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Turned off the cable box but not the tv?

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

Make sure your TV is being properly powered down, and it is not in a standby mode.

The Plasma TV uses phosphors in the lumination cells. The phosphor in the cells is activated by UV rays that is generated from effect of the gas being ionized. After switching off, these cells may glow for a few minutes. The glowing effect should fade over a number of minutes until the next time the set is used.

Some CRT sets will have phosphor glow for a few minutes after switching off. You can see this effect in a darkened room.

Information about Plasma display technology:

Jerry G.