mystery dac

I'm trying to reverse-engineer, or at least understand, an old hunk of military electronics, part of an aircraft heads-up display. One part on the schematic seems to be a 12-bit DAC with internal data latches. The part number seems to be DAC871 or possibly DAC671; it's a bad scan of a bad Xerox. Heck, there's a chance it's a DAC571.

It looks like a 24-pin package with D0..D11 on pins 1..12 respectively, and D0 looks to be the MSB!

The board was designed by GEC Avionics Ltd, so the dac may be furrin.

No luck so far from the usual suspects. Anybody got any leads on what this might be?

John

On second look, probably no latches.

John

Maybe check any old National data you have. The reverse bit numbering is present, and some were also made by GEC Plessey with different part numbers, but even my '84 databook doesn't have anything that matches the pinout or part number.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

That exactly the description of the Micro Networks (an ICS company) DAC87. I don't know what to say about the "1" after the 87. Is it in a ceramic side-brazed DIP package? Oh, I forgot, you're only looking at a schematic, right? Would you like a copy of the datasheet? Done.

Winfield.

Reply to
hill

Hello Win,

Just FYI, your address isn't munged anymore.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Thanks, Win, that was it. Probably DAC87I.

How many datasheets do you have archived? How do you organize them?

I have about 2000, around 800 mbytes, on my hard drive, plus a lot od old cd's lying around in heaps. I'm planning to start an official company archive, where we save a datasheet of any part we use on any design.

John

Hello John,

When you do let us know what SW you found useful. I just got ScanSoft's PaperPort that supposedly allows the creation of an increasingly 'paperless' environment. But I didn't get around to trying it yet. Basically a scanning and archiving package.

They also offer a pro version with pdf conversion and all that. Still, I probably won't bring myself to parting with oldies such as National's

1976 Discretes Databook. More than once has this stuff saved the bacon when a client was stuck with a really old legacy design and couldn't get parts.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

I figured we'd just create a folder on the server where everybody dumps pdf datasheets of any part they use in a design. We'd make sure the weekly dvd backups include this stuff.

Mine are organized by manufacturer, then by type

C:\\

DATA\\

National\\

Amps\\ LM7301.pdf etc

Vregs\\ LM1117.pdf etc

and like that.

Some of the databooks are irreplacable, and some are just nostalgic, like PMI and GigaBit Logic and GE.

John

I've done that in the past, though for specific projects. I then copy the datasheets for the parts I actually use into the project directory, along with all the design information and other documentation. BTW, C: is a *bad* place to put this stuff.

I've thrown away more stuff than I care to think about.

--
  Keith
Reply to

C: is where I keep *my* stuff, and I back up often to my D: drive, and toast dvd's once a week or so. My idea is to extend parts archiving company-wide, to a folder on a logical drive on the server, where we put only datasheets of parts that actually make it onto parts lists, and where backup is routine.

Engineers keep projects on their C: drives while they're working on them, with a network drive J: available for backups of work-in-process. When stuff gets done, it's formally released to M:\\LIB\\ where manfacturing can get at it, and that's backed up nightly to another hard drive, weekly to dvd's. We back up software tools, too, so anything can be rebuilt later.

We recently moved, and I had to purge hundreds of pounds of old databooks, and a lot of actual test equipment, that I figured I'd never need.

John

Keith wrote: > In article , > snipped-for-privacy@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com says... > >

OK, I'll show some ignorance. Why is C:\\ a bad place? Is it an OS issue or is it because it's on the server? Just curious.

GG

Reply to
Glenn Gundlach

As much as it galls me to point at a spammer, this nascent tool may be useful in some ways:

JeffM

John, I work for BAE Systems, that was GEC Avionics Ltd. Not directly with the HUD guys, but at Rochester UK where many are made. If you'd like to send on any info you have about the hunk, ideally the GEC part number, possibly of the format 7914-00132, then I'll check with our drawing library to see if there's anything stored. Should be available since we support stuff thats 40 years old. If you have the schematic, maybe there's a number on that? Mail me as neil ddot chatfield att baesystems dottt com ...

hth Neil

Reply to
neil

I have about 30k files, or 12GB. That's for semiconductors, I have a smaller but sizable number of component datsheet files.

If multiple folks are involved, you need a good system.

Pretty good. I keep drive C: set aside for programs and similar stuff, which means I can wipe it, reformat it or whatever without affecting my data. My personal data and project files, etc., are kept in drive D: (data, get it?). This makes it easy to backup, by copying the entire drive, without wasting space on programs.

Drive E: is Engineering, for all my datasheets. My structure is,

E:\\Companies-Semi\\company-name\\part-number_rev.pdf and etc. I also have "app-note" and other folders for each company.

I haven't subdivided the datasheets under category, because many parts defy categorization, and because that would have become a difficult time-consuming step in saving the files. But it would make it easier to find things. Right now I have to remember the part number. I use Window search (browsing on E:\\Companies-Semi) typing in a piece of the partnumber, so I quickly get lists of all the second source datasheets, different revs, etc.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

I had to reply when I saw the mention of Paperport Pro. I have Version

9 which is supposed to be better than Version 10. This product is slow and full of bugs. For instance you can't have more than 200 pdfs in a directory or it will crash. It often crashes anyhow for no reason. Its been years since I've had and app which requires constant Ctrl Alt Delete / End Task.

I will also be more than happy to host your datasheet collections in browseable (Ad free) directories on the DatasheetArchive. With No catches. No Adverts.

For example:

Email me if interested.

Reply to
administrator

I had to reply when I saw the mention of Paperport Pro. I have Version

9 which is supposed to be better than Version 10. This product is slow and full of bugs. For instance you can't have more than 200 pdfs in a directory or it will crash. It often crashes anyhow for no reason. Its been years since I've had and app which requires constant Ctrl Alt Delete / End Task.

I will also be more than happy to host your datasheet collections in browseable (Ad free) directories on the DatasheetArchive. With No catches. No Adverts.

For example:

Email me if interested.

Reply to
administrator

On 11 Apr 2006 12:41:53 -0700, Glenn Gundlach wrote in Msg.

It is a good idea to keep all easily replaceable stuff (like the operating system and installed software) in one partition and to put all the actually valuable, user-generated documents in another.

The reason is that any possibly dangerous process, such as a software or OS upgrade, or the occasional complete hosing/formatting that works wonders with Windows systems, will not affect the partition on which sensible data is stored.

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

I keep everything on C: and backup daily to D:

D is an identical drive. Once I get a stable os with all the apps working, I mirror-copy it to two identical drives. One becomed D:, where work is backed up, and one goes in a plastic bag on a shelf, just in case.

Are there any good ways to mirror-copy C: to an external USB drive, and restore from there?

John

If you use drive caddies, you also have the advantage of moving it to another computer without having to copy the files between drives. Just unlock the drive and put it in the other computer. Less than a minute, and you're ready to boot the other system.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Exactly. I generally go one step further and put programs on D: and my data on E: (on a separate drive if possible). I assign X:, Y:, and Z: to CD/DVD drives and put network drives somewhere in the middle. On my Linux system /home and go on different physical drives from /.

Another trick I've gotten into the habit of is to put the installation source for all programs in an "installed" directory on a partition other than C: or where the programs are actually installed.

--
  Keith
Reply to