Pioneer SD-P4044 problems.

Here's my dilemma: I have an old Pioneer SD-P4044 projection TV that will go haywire after it has been on for a given amount of time. It seems the longer it has been turned off, the longer it takes to happen. Basically, the TV looks fine when first turned on, then after about

10-15 minutes each of the colors shift slowly apart (about 30 seconds for the full effect), usually red heads east and green goes west, and the sound lowers and eventually cuts out. The controls will eventually become unresponsive and I have to unplug the TV in order to turn it off. The TV still shows a moving picture, although you can hardly make anything out due to the horrible color shift. I can't seem to find anyone on the net with my exact issue, although I've seen plenty of discussions on the 4277 convergence IC and bad solder joints. So my question is - would the convergence IC failure affect the sound as well as the picture, or do I have a completely separate issue? If its a separate issue, what's the next thing to check/fix/replace? I've already taken the power supply and convergence boards out and touched up all the solder points. Thanks for any help.

David

Reply to
judogi

Hey, I suspect a heat problem - so BAD solder joint on the board..

I don't know the IC you mention 4277 who is the mfg?

Rick - Atlanta KE4OCO

Reply to
Rick

In other threads the IC is referred to as an STK4277, apparently the chip under the heatsink on the convergence board. I didn't attempt to remove the heatsink and verify that this chip exists in my TV, though. The chip (or its replacement part) is only available from Pioneer, as far as I can tell. I should mention all the caps on the board look good, at least none of the tops are bubbled, and I can't see any burned resistors. I freshened all of the solder joints on the board with no luck. I thought I had found the culprit - a cracked joint on a large cap on the power supply, but it didn't help. Apparently it was making a "good enough" connection to work. Any ideas?

David - Memphis KC4VRQ

Reply to
judogi

replace the system control ic. Pioneer p/n PDB010-C

Reply to
Tbird

Where is that IC located? On the main control board in the back of the unit, or some other area? That chip is $50! You don't work for the Pioneer parts warehouse do ya? ;)

Reply to
judogi