TEK 455 vs 465 quality?

I've searched the archives, and it seems like the 465, specifically the later 465B, is better regarded for build quality.

Was there a 455B, same vintage as the 465B - essentially a 465B but w/60 MHz BW vs 100 MHz?

Or what are other significant differences between the two models (or revisions)?

Thank you, Lance

Reply to
LanceM

LanceM wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@arbitrary.net.digitex.net:

The 455 is actually designated 455A2B2,probably because TEK may have planned to make other side modules,but never did.

455 was supposed to be a 'ruggedized' scope,but really was less rugged than a 465,due to it's lack of a real frame and plastic 'chassis'.It also used a large hybrid IC for the vertical preamp,and had some problems with a bad batch of hybrids.(caused IM trace jumps) 465 vs 465B,IMO,it's a tossup. IIRC,465B used more IC's in the vertical preamp than the 465.
--
Jim Yanik,NRA member
jyanik-at-kua.net

Lance, See if you can find a 465M. It is a militarized version. Mine is still working perfectly. Sparky

Steve Parker

"Steve Parker" wrote in news:bmd2pn$4qb$ snipped-for-privacy@news.tamerica.net:

465M bears NO relation to an ordinary 465. It's more like an upgraded 455A2B2.
--
Jim Yanik,NRA member
jyanik-at-kua.net

The 465M was a good scope, but it was ruggedized which makes it heavier thru the use of more internal structure. This brings the bandwidth down somewhat and makes them more difficult to work on.

If you really need the rugged feature, then it's a great scope, otherwise I'd stick with a 465 or 465B.

-

Jim Adney

I recently got a quote on a cal'd & warrantied 465B for $450 USD.

What would a reasonable price range be?

Reply to
LanceM

That sounds good ($450) for a calibrated and warrantied 465.

-- change .combo to .com for correct email

*************************************************** "We ought always to know precisely why a given job is done in a particular way, and why it is done at all, and why it can't be done more efficiently, if it must be done at all."-- T.J.Watson

Kevin Carney