PICTURE REDUCED TO SINGLE HORIZONTAL LINE

15-year old Mitsu 27" TV. Worked fine last night, this morning there is a single line across the middle of the screen. I can see that there is an actual picture because it is in color and changes; it's just like looking through a 1/4" slit. Sound is fine. Any ideas other than chuck it?

Bill Memphis

Reply to
Bill

Vertical output circuit failure. Could be as simple as a bad solder connection or it could be one of the sets with about 40 bad capacitors throughout the set. If the latter is the case and you fix the vertical failure you will have outher problems soon if the caps are not replaced. Post the model number.

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

Thanks, Leonard. It's a CS-2710R. The problem w/ replacing it is that I built shelving around it and the opening is only W27" x H23".

Bill Memphis

Reply to
Bill

We se these frequently. This is one of the sets that likley has 12-24 bad caps and some corrosion on the traces due to electrolyte leakage. Don't bother to fix it unless you have a servicer that has done them and tells you the same thing I do without prompting and the CRT tests good. Not likely to be a cost effective repair.

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

Common type of repair for a TV shop. May cost between 100.00 and 150.00 depending on your area. Leonard is correct about the possibility of bad caps - but someone experienced with these should probably be able to advise if yours is one of the affected models.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

In addition to the other posters' good advice- do *not* operate the TV in this condition- the intense concentrated brightness on such a narrow portion of the screen will burn a visible line into the phosphor- permanently. This can happen fairly quickly and the resulting damage could be hard to live with.

Dave

Reply to
Dave D