My new TV has 3 dead pixels...

Just had a 32inch standard (not LCD/Plasma) Toshiba widescreen delivered this weekend. All seemed fine, but I switched it on this morning, and after watching it for a bit, I noticed 3 dead pixels.

How common is this? Are there likely to be more die? To be honest, they're not really that noticeable, but when I think about it, I look straight at the area where one is, and will notice them! Especially on white back grounds.

So is a TV worth taking back over 3 dead pixels? If it was small enough to take back to the shop, then I'd think yes, but it's getting the day off work, to wait for the delivery of another one!

What are peoples thoughts on this? Or am I being very fussy!?

Matthew Long

Reply to
Matthew Long

Oh Boy !!!

Reply to
kip

And, the replacement may have 4 dead pixels and might have other problems. For a CRT, they aren't actually pixels but probably a shadowmask dot. There is a specifications for this.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

Odds are that you will not even be able to get any kind of warranty or exchange for a whole 3 dead pixels. Contact the manufacture about the defective pixel policy on lcd screen.

Basically, no, it is not worth trying to take it back for only 3 dead pixels. Manufacturing tolerance is many more bad pixels than just three.

Reply to
dkuhajda

Odd, I've never seen dead pixels on a CRT, must be some debris in the shadow mask, or holes that didn't get fully etched. It's very unlikely for more to develop, if it doesn't bother you just leave it alone, if it does, you may be able to return it but it might not be worth the effort. Personally I think the dead pixels would drive me nuts if they're in the center portion of the screen, around the edges or corners I wouldn't care as much.

Reply to
James Sweet

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"

"Follow The Money"
Reply to
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

Never heard of dead pixels in a CRT. You sure you don't mean LCD? Or a differnt symptom? If the store won't take it back for a few bad pixels, will they take it back if it's dead? If so, it may be time to commit electronic homicide to get your set replaced

Reply to
Jumpster Jiver

I used to see this occasionally in minor brand CRT monitors.

I have a Sears-Sanyo TV made in the 1970s whose Hitachi CRT is still bright and sharp, but from day one it's shown a small white dot, about

1" from the right edge, whenever the screen is blue in that area. I decided to ask Sears about this defect 12 years after the purchase, and they issued a $50 refund check without protest.
Reply to
rantonrave

There's one nearish to the middle, and a couple in the left area of the screen. None are near each other. To be honest, you really don't notice them. I was just concerned that more might go out. But I've learnt that they're not actual pixels on CRT televisions! But like you said, just holes - So like you said, it sounds like there won't be anymore!

One other thing I have noticed with my new TV is when viewing pictures, it looks fine. But, if a light image comes into the picture, the whole screen seems to darken down a touch. Not a lot, but if you're watching a moving picture where something light is coming in and out of the picture fast (Like someone walking down a corridor), the whole screen has a slight flickering effect. Also, pressing the TV info button, to get the information banner up, the sane thing happens. Like I said, it's very slight, but once you notice it, it's annoying! Any ideas? It's something I can easily live with, but I've not seen it on previous TV's I've had in the past!

Matthew Long

Reply to
Matthew Long

My current set has two; one appears to be missing its phosphor, the other is hard to see.

I got a service call years ago to replace a CRT on a brand-new set. This one had one missing phosphor dot, *right in the center*. Any time a person's face was in the middle of the screen, this pixel was a spot on the person's nose.

clifto

How high is the contrast/picture set? Most TVs come from the store with it set to maximum. At this setting, bright objects will overload the power supply and cause the picture to dim, bend, or become blurry.

40-60% of maximum is usually about right. The TV will also last longer with the picture at a reasonable level. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@psu.edu

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

That one sounds like screen burn, I've seen it a few times when deflection stopped but the beam was not killed immediately for one reason or another.

Reply to
James Sweet