OPC and OPC UA

Until today I'd never heard of such, but...

AWS accepts data from various sensors speaking the above for observation/monitoring/display of {Buzzword trigger alert} IoT

The question that me, the guy solders things together vs writing

10,001 lines of code, asks is:

What's out there to take old-fashioned data such as XML, and magically make it into something AWS will accept?

All snide comments re: my ignorance welcome.

David Lesher

No snide remarkes re: your ignorance, but maybe one of my own. What are you talking about? What is OPC, OPC UA and AWS? Or do I have to get an education from the link before I can judge if I want to read the link?

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricketty C

I don't know those acronyms, but perhaps

is some use to you? It seems to be a publish/subscribe service for IOT data.

CH

Reply to
Clifford Heath

AWS is this 2-bit West Coast outfit that rents computer time. We used to call that time-sharing.

And all I know re: OPC is:

David Lesher

I think you will have to ask that question directly of AWS. I had a quick look at their site and all I found were pretty pictures and platitudes. No specification of the older data formats it can accept.

I expect many things out there still speak structured CSV or some random binary proprietary data format convenient for their domain. Legacy SCADA kit tends to use Modbus or similar protocols. There is a lot of it about since big expensive process kit tends to live for a long time.

Strikes me they must have a way to support legacy kit with a shim.

It is a set of acronyms I had not come across before. I was expecting something like Operational Current and a micropower version.

There is a decent introduction to OPC UA on Wiki with references but with a 1250 page specification I don't think I fancy going any further.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Reply to
Martin Brown

I looked at the provided links, and it seems like a solution in search of a problem, with too many acronyms to make head or tail of. Which is itself a warning.

So, the first question is what are you hoping to build or to accomplish?

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn