Photo lighting equipment repair.

Hi: I am trying to troubleshoot a studio strobe (monolight) and need either some experienced help or a circuir diagram. The unit is an Elinchrom 500, built in 2001. If anyome can help, please let me know, I'll give details of the problem. TIA, Ray

Reply to
Ray

some

If you give details of the problem someone may be able to help you, otherwise it's just guessing.

Reply to
James Sweet

some

If that's a flash unit, are you experienced with such voltages? I don't want to encourage anyone to die.

NSM

Yes and yes, for over forty years.

Reply to
Ray

OK, they are pretty much a fool killer. I can only give you general advice, however. What sort of info are you looking for?

NSM

There is much I need to find out and without a circuit diagram (which has been almost impossible to find so far), I am pretty much reverse engineering this thing as I go. First off, there is a small board directly behind the sync. socket on the Elinchrom 500. The board has a power resistor, a high voltage MOSFET, an optocoupler and a few other resistors. The power resistor overheated and burnt the board. I suspect this has happened because the mosfet (or it's controlling circuit) failed and caused the full load of the photoflash caps to continually bleed across this resistor. I am going to make a new board and replace all components on it (7 or 8 in total). I will be doing some more trouble shooting and will be able to give you more information soon. Are you familiar with the innards of this monolight? And finally, can we carry on this dialogue by email so as not to clutter the bulletin board?

Reply to
Ray

It can be difficult if not downright impossible to get some of the parts for monoblocs or studio strobes. The manufacturers will use either use special capacitors or custom control chips. I've never done any work on Elinchrom gear so couldn't tell you if they'll sell you parts or if they used readily available parts or not. Most of my studio pacs are either Norman or Novatron, both have sold me repair parts in the past. It'd be wise to check annd see if you can cross all the components on the circuit board before going to far on this repair job, especially the power caps and the main output Capacitor and any quench coils it may have.

Reply to
none