repackaging electrical lighting equipment

I think that as long as you aren't specifying a purpose and you understate the max specs you aren't needing UL. You only have to worry about getting in trouble if someone uses it in such a way that they cause personal or propery damage. Just remember the rule when designing for consumer use: "Make it idiot proof, and they will come out with a better idiot"

In other words, make sure you can afford the liability insurance.

-ScottL

Reply to
ScottL

I was thinking about buying an HID lighting ballast which consists of a transformer and a couple caps and putting it in its own metal box with cooling vents, plug with strain relief and a handle and then reselling it on ebay for a profit. The only problem is its not UL approved. How long could I do this before getting into trouble?

Dan

on

We have sold stuff into the US without UL certification. If a customer wants UL, then we have to go through the process.

Whatever you do, the wiring, temperature rise, insulation quality, vent size, wire anchors, plugs etc must be such that

  1. The unit will stand wear and tear.
  2. There is low fire risk, even if shorts occur.
  3. Temperature rise of transformer windings is known under worst case conditions.
  4. Vent openings allow entry of only very small diameter item - much smaller than a finger.
  5. Live points are not close to vents.
  6. Leads can't push into the unit.
  7. High voltage insulation test is performed between mains and ground.
  8. Ground wire to case goes to a dedicated screw, not a screw used for any other purpose.

UL is low risk of fire and electric shock. If you are not sure of how to do high quality wiring & constuction, then get advice or skip the project.

All advice is not equal - I saw a death trap product designed with the help of an expensive consultant who was an expert on wiring & construction safety - it was capable of melting the earth wire out of power points, causing vehicle fires and would smoke its own transformer in hot weather.

Using UL certified parts is a good idea - look for UL mark on switches, wires, transformers.

Roger

Reply to
Roger Lascelles

Doesn't anyone make a high efficiency electronic ballast?

David Lesher