Philips "Docking Entertainment System" Model DCM230, CD Player Issue

Hi,

I use to be in consumer electronics repair service for many years.

My Philips "Docking Entertainment System" Model DCM230 (Ipod(s) dock, USB port for USB flash drives, CD player, AM/FM radio, plus Aux input) has a problem with the CD player. I found out that the CD motor is not spinning the CD after it is loaded. The motor is not "stuck".

After inserting a CD, the display keeps displaying "Reading", "Reading", ...... This can go on for a long period of time without an error message!

Did anyone have this same issue with your Philips DCM230/37 model system?

Thank You in advance, John

Reply to
jaugustine

Philips laser pickups die like flies. Just sayin' .

Some versions are available on eBay cheap.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark Zacharias

Hi Mark,

Did you notice that I said the cd disc does not spin? Note: Not exact words.

Before the pickup can do anything, the disc has to spin first.

John

Reply to
jaugustine

I don't know about your player specifically, but many need focus lock before the disk spins.

Reply to
chuck

They must achieve focus before they will spin. This has been the case for 20 years.

mz

Reply to
Mark Zacharias

Mark Zacharias kom med denne ide:

Probably to make sure the "pickup" is not resting solidly on the disk or a chocolate biscuit.

Leif

--

beslutning at undlade det.
Reply to

Hi Mark,

Perhaps you are right, but I have only used the CD player about 6 times since I bought this unit. Most of the time I use a USB flash drive with MP3 music files.

It is very unlikely that the pickup is "worn out" (seldom used), and due to the "dirt proof" construction, that dirt on the pickup is the cause. Note: I don't smoke.

My Wife has the same model unit. In her's, if I insert a CD upside down, I will get a message, "No Disc" after a several seconds of "Reading, Reading, ....". However on mine, after several minutes, it still says, "Reading, Reading, ....".

John

Reply to
jaugustine

Your opinion or mine doesn't really matter after all. I'm still betting on the pickup. These things are made in China using the cheapest possible labor and materials. Whose to say the laser diode material wasn't contaminated somehow? Maybe just deteriorated all on it's own. Wouldn't be the first time, not by a long shot.

At the moment the disc "should" spin maybe try helping it along. The spindle motor could be shorted - another common problem.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark Zacharias