Peavey TNT 160 , 1990

5 of the 6 front panel jack sockets have duff solder. Not even with lead-free solder have I come across such . What other problems with these sockets ?
sockets marked S/C, barrel/cylinder ground contact and sprung tip contact with switch contact. A different 5 of the 6 have a crack in the plastic showing at the tip of the yellow "V" - stress from manufacture ? metal bush and nut so the plastic should not be compressed/stressed. The ground terminal wire seem to be just pressure contact to the barrel to the left of the V, with green copper carbonate? corrosion products, either side of that ground wire.

N Cook

I have not had many problems with Peavey guitar amps although I have not used/owned a TNT combo bass amp. I just recent sold a Peavey Special 130 circa 1990 that I went over with a fine tooth comb trying to find an intermittent loss of volume (not a complete loss) looking for a poor connection/solder joint. All the connections/joints looked fine and turned out to be the 12" Scorpion speaker that would test 600 DC ohms when the problem was present. I replaced it with an identical speaker I had purchased some years earlier and sent the dud to be reconed.

Reply to
Meat Plow

bush

of

that

In this case its that old problem of thin blade terminals soldered into circular holes, so an enormous bridging gap for the solder in most places.

My usual retro-remedy is discs of fine brass or copper mesh, punched with a paper-punch , and opened out central hole, soldered in place over each pin, so mesh reinforced solder.

N Cook

I do recall now that you mention it finding similar in other Peavey gear.

I used solder wick.

Reply to
Meat Plow