Panasonic SA-AK403 Problem, please help!

I have a panasonic 5 cd stereo system and I have a major problem with the cd function. When it plays cds it skips really horribly. These are not burned cds, nor are they necessarily old cds. I have tried MANY brand new cds, straight out of the package, and have yet to find a cd that does not skip. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem?

Reply to
MarthaMD

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 16:25:49 -0800, MarthaMD Has Frothed:

Can you replace and calibrate the laser if need be?

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

I would try a good cleaning of the optics. Use isopropyl alcohol I use a stronger version at100% than you buy for medical purporses 70%, but it would work too. Good Luck, StarBaseONE2

Reply to
StarBaseONE2

be very careful when cleaning the lens! the mounting is fragile. Take a good look at it. If it's kind of dirty or cloudy, like your reading glass's when they get dirty, then that's a problem. Before you reach for cleaning solution try using a soft but stiff cotton tip (like a medical grade q-tip, where you pull the cotton partially off of the tip) and polish the lens dry. Use a circular motion, gently. The lens should shine up so you can see a nice clear reflection in it. Like your glass's after you've cleaned them. The other thing to look for is "debris", hairs, dust bunnies, crumbs, or other smutz. If you have a can of "air" you can blow the stuff out or pick it out with tweezers. Check that the travel of the sled, the carrier that the lens unit is on, moves freely. Often debris, hairs mostly it seems, will get in the gear drive and cause it to jerk. Hence the skips. All of these can be tricky and if you're not used to working the inside of a CD player or are "all thumbs", they might be best left to a professional. If it's a compact/portable unit it gets worse. These can be real nightmarish time-wasters just to open up/disassemble to do the service. Also do the skips occur on every track, are they worse towards the end of the CD than the beginning? Does the player read the CD OK and just have trouble playing or are there some CD's it can't read/load??

Reply to
tomh

NEVER try to polish ANY lens dry!!!!

That just rubs in any grit or dust that was there resulting in microscopic scratches.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites: