Q of this circuit?

I need to have an estimate of the Q for a parallel tuned circuit consisting of a 10 microhenry air wound coil and an 8.2 microfarad electrolytic cap. Coil parameters are below.

DC Resistance 0.16 Ohms Wire Gauge 24 AWG Wire Diameter 20.1 mils (1 mil = .001 in) Coil Length 1 in Coil Inner Diameter 0.5 in Coil Outer Diameter 0.54 in Average Turn Diameter 0.5 in Wire Length 6.02 feet Copper Weight 0.01 pounds Turns 46 Levels 0.92 Turns/Level 49.75

The circuit will feed into an mk484 AM radio chip (or it's very similar brother, the LMF501) which has an input impedance of (about)

100 K ohms.

I'm sure this is easy to do, but I can't figure out how the ac resistance of the cap impacts the Q calculation.

Thanks,

Albert

April 1 post?

Reply to
Charles Schuler

No, not really................

Did I leave out some >

Reply to
Albert

Resonates at 18 kHz and still seems like April Fool to me!

Reply to
Charles Schuler

When the homework is due? :)

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Note: These links are hopefully temporary until we can sort out the excessive traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

... 10 microhenry air wound coil and an 8.2 microfarad electrolytic cap...

Say what? That's completely Looney tunes.

NSM

}I need to have an estimate of the Q for a parallel tuned circuit }consisting of a 10 microhenry air wound coil and an 8.2 microfarad }electrolytic cap.

An "8.2 microfarad" cap in an RF tuned circuit?

Please re-check...perhaps you meant 8 uuf?

Stan.

Reply to
Stan

Unless he wants to create a circuit with negative Q.

NSM

No, that is not an error. I meant 8.2 uf, not 8.2 uuf.

The 10 uh coil is easier to make, so I wanted to use a small inductor and a large capacitor. It should resonate at 17.8 Khz, which is the frequency I am building a receiver for.

Why does everyone think this is a joke and/or an error? This is a legitimate question. I gave (what I thought) was the specifications needed to arrive at a value for loaded Q....or at least a rough estimate.

Thanks to all,

Albert

Simple. A resonant circuit is like a baseball on a foot of rubber band.

Your circuit is like a piece of bread attached to a piece of taffy.

Which one do you think is 'bouncier'?

NSM

Albert -

Electrolytic caps are really not very good in resonant circuits.

First, you must not allow the cap voltage to go negative - which means you must ensure that there is a DC bias at least as great as the peak voltage of the sine wave that will exist there.

In addiion, they have a fair amount of series resistance (which will drag down the Q of the overall circuit). And because of their construction, they also have a fair amount of parasitic inductance - probably well above 10 uH. Just as a general statement, at KHz frequencies, you probably should be thinking about mH coils and nF caps.

Bill

Albert wrote:

Reply to
Bill Jeffrey