Panasonic Model PV-M1368 TV-VCR hit by lightning

Not directly, but close enough.

The story: I scavanged the TV about three years ago from a neighbor's trash. I know for a fact why she threw it away. The set was plugged in when lightning struck quite close to her house during a big thunderstorm that came through. I grabbed it, because I fixed a set several years earlier that had been thrown out for the same reason. On the earlier set, all that happened was that the main fuse blew and two lightning arrestors in the antenna leads blew out. I replaced them, and the earlier set has run just fine ever since. That set, though, was a hot chassis type with knobs for tuning and no capability for use with a remote control.

The 1998-vintage Panasonic PV-M1368 has a switching supply and can be operated with a remote. I opened it to find that the main fuse was OK. There are no obvious scorch marks on the PCB. The VCR portion of the set receives power, as I can fast forward, rewind, and play video tapes. I cannot turn on the TV part of the set by way of the on-off button on the set's front. I do not have the remote for the set, but I can try programming a universal remote to see what happens.

Working on it is a labor of love. I don't have any money in it, and I have plenty of other TVs and VCRs. I do not have the schematic, and I have no inclination to buy a CD-ROM of schematics from Panasonic. I figure opinions here could head in one of two different ways:

1) We see these all the time. There's a second fuse under the VCR transport. Replace that, and the set should work. 2) We see these all the time. The lightning strike wiped out an IC. It has forty pins, it's soldered in place, it's proprietary, it costs $87.38, and you can't get them anymore.

If door number 2 is the answer, I have no qualms about putting the TV out at the end of the sidewalk with a sign on it, "FREE - GRATIS."

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Reply to
Beloved Leader