Panasonic CT2702UB Hor. lines at top -sometimes

This set has what sort of looks like retrace for the first two or three inches down from the top. I found a 100uf 16V high ESR electrolytic in the vertical circuit but replacing it didn't seem to help. The thing is when watching a program with full screen the problem is usually there constantly. However when the commercials come on sometimes they appear to be shown in wide format with the top and bottom black for the first inch or so. It is during these times that there doesn't seem to be a problem. It seems to depend on what commercial is showing and sometimes the luminence level that brings it on. Does this seem like anyhing common on this set? Thanks. Lenny.

Reply to
captainvideo462002

Art

I wonder how often in this NG it is simply advised to replace caps. Wouldn't I have a general confidence in people, I would have to suspect that some of the respective authors are cousins, nephews, husbands, sons, fathers or other relatives of cap manufacturers.

Whereas it may be true, that aged caps do have their share in old device trouble, this does imho not justify to do trial and error exchanges without reason.

Please correct me, if I'm wrong in the assumption, that retrace is blanked by a signal to the CRT, and if that signal is misshaped, does not arrive in time with necessary amplitude, or meets other unfavorable conditions at the CRT, then the retrace can become visible. Thus it would be nice in those instances to sit over the schematic, follow the path of the blanking signal and to ponder, what could interfere there.

Regards, H.

Reply to
Heinz Schmitz

I have an old TV set which regularly shows a few retrace lines at the top of the screen if it receives a program with videotext data, but is fine with "normal" programs. I suppose the blank pulse timing is somewhat disturbed by the videotext signals, which they didn't know of at the devices creation day.

Yes. I had that once, the cause being a defective TDA-something. These get rather hot - more so, if the manufacturer tries to squeeze out the last nickel by saving on the heat sink.

I can't say that to replace electrolytic caps would have saved me much work.

Regards, H.

Reply to
Heinz Schmitz