tv screen lines at top

My Sony Trinitron has lines across the top 1/4 of the screen. It looks as though you are viewing that portion through rippled glass. Can anyone tell me what is wrong? Thanks a lot. John

Reply to
JohnH

Probably bad capacitor(s) in the vertical circuit - though this is less common on Sony than some other brands.

The specific symptom you state may be caused by a "boost" capacitor being bad. If so, the vertical output IC is running really HOT and will fail.

Also, there is a chance of burning the tube at the top where the lines are. This is permanent damage.

so DON'T USE THE SET in this condition . Get it fixed. Or replace it, your choice.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias