out of focus GE tv

My husband recently purchased a plasma tv and decided to give our 32 inch, 10 yr old, GE tv to our son in his room. After hooking it up, however, the picture was dark and out of focus. After messing with the controls I was able to get a decent picture, but the lettering, logos, guide, etc. is really blurry and out of focus. Should I dust it out, someone told me to check the focus control on the high voltage transformer inside the set. Does this sound right? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks, Kiani Pierce

Reply to
jkeyclwtr

Dark might indicate that the high voltage is low. There is a focus voltage and an accelerating voltage ... both must be correct to achieve a sharp image.

Dusting it out is probably a waste of time and could cause more grief. At

10 years, it is about at the end of its useful life.

I advise that you NOT adjust things internal to the TV.

Some repair shops offer free estimates ... check into that.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

Sounds like someone tried to plug in the video game RCA jacks into the focus and screen control holes again. I remember about 10 years ago when Thomson started making the plastic around the focus and screen controls the same size as an RCA jack people/kids would try and plug in the Nintendo into the focus and screen control holes and invariably move the controls and sometimes even break them.

Reply to
dkuhajda

Hi...

Or perhaps just carrying it to his son's room... arm around the back moving both the screen and focus controls?

Might be worth a try. Mark their current positions with a dab of nail polish or something, then move them a bit and see what the result is.

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 13:38:18 -0800, jkeyclwtr Has Frothed:

Toss it in the trash unless you know how to repair tv sets.

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow