OT - UV setting Resin question

Anyone happen to really know about this stuff? I baught my example from ebay:

Says its epoxy resin in the ad. and it sets (hot) hard almost instantly with strong UV, quite useful but its not epoxy and doesnt stick like epoxy! Its Acrylic - it even says so on the bottle. Iv used other UV gloops in the past from China and they are softer setting types and definitely Acrylic. I do know that epoxy UV set glue is available industrially, they use UV to kickstart and then continue setting for a time afterwards. However my guess is that these real epoxy types are probably very expensive and not for general use! Asked the seller and got the answer roughly, "well we have no complaints and we sell loads of it" ! My guess is that all the advertised 'EPOXY' UV glues on ebay and Amazon are actually Acrylic... anyone know better or for sure? C+

Reply to
Charlie+

UV curing epoxy is quite real. The problem is I don't know what the eBay vendor is actually selling. I suggest you look at the different curing instructions for UV curing acrylic and epoxy in the article below, and try to determine which one matches the product you purchased.

"UV curing acrylic vs. UV epoxy"

Two common types of UV curing (light curing) adhesives are those based on acylate and epoxy. Both are cured using UV or blue light between 365 nm and 405 nm. The difference between them lies in their chemistry. Both the curing process and final properties differ.

Full disclosure: I've worked with UV curable cyanoacrylate adhesive, but not epoxy.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Thu, 27 Jan 2022 03:10:21 -0800, Jeff Liebermann snipped-for-privacy@cruzio.com wrote as underneath :

Thanks JL yes I know what I've already got! Acrylic - I needed a source for genuine UV Epoxy as opposed to the sales speak epoxy which is'nt! Reason is the acrylic UV can only set with direct UV, and it doesnt stick like epoxy anyway.. but it is ok for some materials mostly transparent for obvious reasons.. C+

Reply to
Charlie+

Compliments of Google search. I don't have any experience with any of these:

More:

I looked for something on eBay (US) and only found small bottles, with gaudy labels, claiming to be epoxy, but more likely to be acrylic like the stuff you purchased. Searching for UV cure resign produced more of the same. I didn't see any industrial grade products, just lots of jewelry and arts+craft products. No clue what's available in UK, but I suspect that you might need to purchase it from the manufacturer or distributor.

I don't know your application, but you might look at 3D printing UV curable resin:

The problem is that I can't tell in most products whether "resin" refers epoxy, acrylic, urethane, or something else.

Good luck.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Thu, 27 Jan 2022 10:52:51 -0800, Jeff Liebermann snipped-for-privacy@cruzio.com wrote as underneath :

snip

JL Thanks some great links you found, much better than I managed to find.. my education on the subject improves! So I surmise: Only industrial sources and prices - out of bounds for my uses! Ultra short shelf life. Hours/Days only. Probably actually made from hybrid acrylic/epoxy mixes.

Funnily enough the first thing I tried within a few minutes of getting the eBay stuff and realizing it had no epoxy characteristics, was to mix some with 5 min epoxy. Fully expecting it to be immiscible, amazed to find it mixed fine and worked as a first shot experiment, semi cured with UV 365nM immediately and set solid after elapsed time! Nothing further done or measured but the potential is definitely there to DIY.. Might try again with slow set epoxy where an instant semi cure would be really useful! Thanks again. C+

Reply to
Charlie+

See if you can beg some that is reaching its end date from your dentist.

Reply to
Liz Tuddenham

On Fri, 28 Jan 2022 09:21:23 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid (Liz Tuddenham) wrote as underneath :

Snip

Hi Liz - now that is a good interesting suggestion - got an appointment on the 31st, I'll ask then! Also brings forth the thaught of mixing acrylic UV with glass isonomer as a trial route!! Thanks. C+

Reply to
Charlie+

What is the green stuff used for solder mask? That is UV-curable and perhaps it is epoxy. LPKF sells it in little packets like they use for ketchup or mustard in a fast food restaurant (but much more expensive I bet...) also it is green by default.

Reply to
Chris Jones

I think dentists use epoxy for some repairs and acrylic for others (judging by the smell) so you will need to check that you get the right one.

Reply to
Liz Tuddenham

I seem to remember it smelt like epoxy when I tried soldering through it.

Reply to
Liz Tuddenham