OT: Google dumping/lost? bits of the Deja/Usenet archive they bought ?

I was going to celebrate my first posting to this new-fangled internet thing, 06 November 1995 to the usenet group sci.electronics.repair, it used to be on Google as I used a long gone local internet cafe, before using a 300 bit modem on my tlephone line, to see what all the hype was about. Anyone know if my message is retrievable anwhere/anyhow?

I can't even find a sensible search structure, eg date-limitation, to

I probably took an image of the message sometime since 2000

Reply to
N_Cook

for 300 bit, read 300 baud

Reply to
N_Cook

I just found my earliest post on rec.games.pinball - September 9, 1992 by looking for my old email address snipped-for-privacy@jukes.wimsey.bc.ca

So, try looking for your earliest email address!

John :-#)#

John's  Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

I thought dejanews went online in 1995, wikipedia says March of that year.

I know I've looked for things from 1995, and I'm sure less turned up than I remember. So dejanews may have been sporadic at the beginning. When google took over the archive, they added some other archives, but I was never sure how complete they were.

Of course, I was posting from BBSs in 1995, so it's also possible that while I posted, some posts never left the system, or got lost in the gateway to usenet. It was still a time when posts could get lost along the way.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Would "the wayback machine" --

-- work?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

I tried the supposed usenet archive bit of archive.org and could not make it work, the same with this

perhaps its just my browser but I got knowhere with either. I know that in may to august 2001 that google URL had it stored, all 6 backup floppys of that time, only with email and my .htm files backed up though, all 6 floppies were perfectly readable on a win98 m/c . Its an excuse to power up my old IBM AT , to see if it still works, last time a cap went bang somewhere but it worked ok

Reply to
N_Cook

Putting the 2001 "groups" link of

in archive.org gave a saved page with a redirect to

which also turns out to be duff, well in my browser anyway, no explanatory from Google .

Reply to
N_Cook

From: Cafe User Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair Subject: Re:oscilloscope manuals-Nigel Cook Date: 3 Nov 1995 08:36:28 GMT Organization: SoNet - The first Internet provider on the south coast Lines: 5 Message-ID: NNTP-Posting-Host: comp_2.interalpha.co.uk Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit X-Mailer: Mozilla 1.2N (Windows; I; 16bit) I repair oscilloscopes and have amassed a library of approx 300 test equipment manuals,mainly scopes.Is there anyone in GB/UK who is willing to swap manuals.Sorry not (as yet) on the net,please phone Nigel on Southampton,England 01703 584680.

Reply to
Mark Zenier

Reply to
N_Cook

That message ID is actually . Did you type it in manually from a screengrab, or did you cut and paste it?

I haven't been able to find it. The article lookup at al.howardknight.net is usually reliable but that can't find it either. I'm wondering if you made a typo when entering it manually.

--
 (\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!

Copied and pasted in 2001 and every now and then over the years, clicked on, and it brought up the original message, text as per Mark Zenier finding. Until just recently, when it no longer returned anything.

Reply to
N_Cook

That one is the exact reason why last year Google removed the incredibly useful discussion search filter.

Before that day you could use the filter to find people talking about something, now you are directly pointed to companies selling that thing.

I'm infuriated by Google attitude towards their users, so that I'm using

more and more, stopped logging in on my G+ account months ago and one day will probably get rid of my gmail account too.

Reply to
asdf