Internet Archive

I know the wayback machine doesn't backup every web page. But I've never s een this before. A friend told me there as a very good web page at the U o f Md Medical Center site on alternative medicine, but they had recently tak en it down with the rather cryptic message, 'We no longer license the "Alte rnative Medicine" content at the website address you visited.'.

I checked the wayback machine and it only has the same page as backups with the same message. I'm wondering if the backup page has some sort of link to an outside source that is being reloaded rather than displaying the cont ent from the backup date. Here is the site URL

It seems odd they would not have backed up the web page until April, then b acked up some 100 versions of the same page with no changes during any of t hat.

I'd like to write UMMC and ask if the content was from another site and wha t that URL would be, but they don't give out an email address.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

When I've used the wayback machine it had a calendar of back-up dates so you could see the evolution of the page of interest...

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Coon

er seen this before. A friend told me there as a very good web page at the U of Md Medical Center site on alternative medicine, but they had recently taken it down with the rather cryptic message, 'We no longer license the " Alternative Medicine" content at the website address you visited.'.

with the same message. I'm wondering if the backup page has some sort of l ink to an outside source that is being reloaded rather than displaying the content from the backup date. Here is the site URL

en backed up some 100 versions of the same page with no changes during any of that.

what that URL would be, but they don't give out an email address.

Yes, that's the strange part. The dates start in April '18 and end in Sept , about 100 backups. When I try to look at them they all seem to be the sa me with the notice that they no longer "license" the content, whatever that means.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

They may not allow crawlers.

Reply to
Martin Riddle

They also don't allow contact by email. I'd like to find out what that message about "license" means and if they got the content from somewhere else.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

I expect its a euphemism for we don't want to host this and nor do we want to get into an arguemnt about that.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I suspect it is the victim of a retroactive robots.txt

Regards,
Martin Brown
Reply to
Martin Brown