OT: Electronic coded car locks

What does infra red have to do with anything here? We're talking about RF not IR.

Anyway, If this were a gamble, I'd put a large sum of money against this working unless its just using the cell phone as an antenna for the key fob. Still not going to get more range than a few meters. Certainally not going to work across the city.

Mike

-Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

Hi!

One thing that might make this possible (or at least drastically improve your odds) is the way the receiver handles an "out of synchronization" situation.

Normally, remotes have to be paired with a given vehicle so that the rolling codes can be synchronized. However, if precise synchronization was required, the owner of the car would be very unhappy if they ever pressed a transmitter button while out of range.

So the receiver will actually accept a code "out of sequence" up to a certain point. I read somewhere that this is between 128 and 256 codes out from the current one. I don't know how true that is for sure.

It's not implausible to believe that two vehicles with keyless entry systems could be "close enough" in terms of how many codes have been generated and used that a neighboring code from a remote belonging to a different vehicle could be accepted.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

That could be it. Folks trying this trick are standing close enough to the car such that the mobile phone with the car remote has its PA stage energised which by some loose coupling boosts the coverage of that remote. The mobile held close to the car is probably doing nothing to aid this.

--
Adrian C
Reply to