OT - Computing question!

Redirection - is there some way to 'see' the process?

I'm trying to learn about computing matters but am confused as to how this can happen.

If I type, for example,

into an address bar of one of my browsers and click 'go' (if necessary) I'm immediately whisked off to here instead:-

Presumably the same thing will happen to you. I'd be grateful for confirmation of that! (If not, I guess I have a problem here!)

How does this work, guys?

Can I 'see' the process in some way?

Any/all help appreciated. TIA.

--
Dave
Reply to

Thanks for responding.

Your computer clock appears to be wrong!

Your message is shown here as being posted at 11:27 am - but at the moments it's only around 10:30!! (GMT)

HTH

--
Dave
Reply to

As you are using a Mac, you should have cUrl already installed. Try this from terminal.

Adrian C
Reply to
Adrian C

uups, posted it 06:27 PYST (Paraguay Summer Time) that`s UTC/GMT-3

the header says ...S-5 Grrrrr. Seems that my emailer and/or WinXP or the connection didn`t work correct for DST on the southern hemisphere. Don`t know if I can debug that.

I will ship this approx at 08:30 Local time, after trying to manipulate the header time offset. Hopfully in the right direction.

Saludos Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Allinger              15h00..21h00 MEZ: SKYPE:wolfgang.allinger
Paraguay            mailer: CrossPoint XP 3.20 (XP2) in WinXPprof DOSbox

Same with me from Paraguay :o WinXPprof SP3, Firefox 9.0.1

Don`t know either.

Saludos Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Allinger              15h00..21h00 MEZ: SKYPE:wolfgang.allinger
Paraguay            mailer: CrossPoint XP 3.20 (XP2) in WinXPprof DOSbox
Meine 7 Sinne:                                    reply Adresse gesetzt!
Unsinn, Schwachsinn, Bloedsinn, Wahnsinn, Stumpfsinn, Irrsinn, Loetzinn.
Reply to
Wolfgang Allinger

Sorta. Try traceroute. From your header, it appears that you're using a Mac. Go to the shell, er... terminal window and run: traceroute

resulting in something that ends in this:

11 ace-data-centers-gw.ip4.tinet.net (173.241.129.46) 44.007 ms 42.955 ms 42.500 ms 12 tg1-1.ar01.prov.acedc.net (199.58.196.37) 58.137 ms 43.033 ms 42.196 ms 13 port1.ar01.prov.bluehost.com (199.58.199.114) 143.064 ms 212.679 ms 122.074 ms 14 box494.bluehost.com (66.147.242.94) 58.168 ms 41.456 ms 41.801 ms

Bluehost.com is a web hosting provider that has probably hundreds of web sites hidden behind this one IP address including dreamservermore.com.

However, the exact target IP of

is controlled by DNS which is under the control of whomever owns dreamservermore.com.

Oops. Looks like something just changed while I was testing. Whois, nslookup, ping, and now traceroute all claim that dreamservermore.com does not exist. I think they just pulled the plug on this domain. It previously pointed to

but after I flushed the DNS cache, the web browser comes up with "problem loading page".

Anyway, what I'm guessing was happening was that whomever was in control of the domain, was using URL redirection to point to other web sites. This is a feature provided by almost all domain registry services.

It's intentional. For example, I have that running on one of my domains. If you go to:

you get redirected to:

Note that the browser shows the target URL. I could also wrap it inside an HTML frame, and have the browser show the original URL. If you try to use traceroute to locate

you'll get about 20 hops, ending in Germany, where I have the domain registered with Joker.com. I was hoping that it would then show the redirected route from Germany to Santa Cruz, where the actual web server is located, but I guess not. Sorry, but I can't demonstrate the entire path.

You really should post your question in a networking newsgroup, not a repair newsgroup.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

I forgot the requisite Wikipedia link:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks for your help Jeff. I was reading at the wiki link earlier today.

I posted here because I've been reading many of the discussions and like the way the folk here conduct themselves. That was after I'd asked about TV aerial problems some weeks ago and got some very helpful responses.

I'll come back and study what you said in detail tomorrow - it's late here and I'm rather tired. I'm interested in the fact that 'someone' wasn't happy with you using the domain!

I found it (dreamservermore.com) here btw -

"Click *here* and read the pathetic personal homepage of Chung Y. Chow."

Cheers

Dave

Reply to
~BD~

It works. However, I had to update curl from 7.16.4 to 7.23.1 on my iMac G5 PPC in order to get it to display properly. Using my redirected web server:

Nice. It shows the redirection. Thanks for the hint.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

C:\tmp>graburl -h

HTTP/1.1 302 Moved Temporarily Connection: close Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2012 02:05:28 GMT Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0 X-Powered-By: ASP.NET location:

Reply to
natp