OT: aide memoire/ interlock?

I run a series of public talks where the speaker uses their laptop coupled via external monitor to my video projector. Because of changing operational reasons it will be better if the speaker was positioned away from where his laptop is. To that end I will be getting a radio-linked laptop r/c for stepping through a powerpoint and combined laser pointer. The little USB receiver unit I can tie to the SVGA lead to the projector, so the speaker cannot walk off with the dongle. But how to avoid him putting the transmitter in his pocket and walking off with it? All I can think of so far is attach it to a cord lanyard , so he has to place it around his neck, makes it less likely to walk off with it unnoticed, but not infalible as he can still put it in a pocket. Incidently 55 people at the February one on multiple Raspberry Pi "supercomputing", transcript

N_Cook

I've thought of one possibility. A padlock , small but large enough to be an encumberance. The small key threaded permanently through the lanyard. Then make a cable to the video projector locked into place with the padlock, using a pair of cable ties or something. In use the padlock locking the IEC lead to the projector. On packing up, the key to unlock the padlock is required before stowing the projector, then only have to remember to transfer the padlock hasp to close around the lanyard instead, until the next outing.

Reply to
N_Cook

The Lady from Philadelphia suggests...

As you are running the talks, can you not keep an eye on the speaker, and make sure he doesn't carry it off? This should be easily accomplished, as you will have to retrieve this... dongle... as each speaker completes his talk.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

I have seen wireless alarms that are made for pets or children that make noise when far enough away from the transmitter. Maybe one of these could be fastened to the device in question. If it gets too far away it will remind the person to pull it out of the pocket and return it. Eric

etpm

I just got it today , the size of a small pen, so one of those out-of-proximity gizmos is a bit large and wrong sort of dimensions to fit to it.

Reply to
N_Cook

It all gets too hectic all at the same time , and I'm male so no multi-tasking ability. The receiver is a little bigger than a standard USB plug, a tiny protrusion beyond it. There must be alot of those left in laptops after such talks , much smaller than a thumbstick, which also get left in place very often

Reply to
N_Cook

Let me get this straight.

You go set up a public venue for someone to speak in public.

This is an ongoing thing.

You think they will steal your equipment.

You have no recourse against this person or people.

Is that correct ?

Reply to
jurb6006

N_Cook har bragt dette til os:

Exchange the transmitter with the speakers cellphone.

Claim it can disturb the transmitter. When the speaker returns the transmitter, (s)he gets the phone back.

Leif

--

beslutning at undlade det.
Reply to

too underhand. A slight variation to my lock and key. The tiny receiver slots into the pointer pen , with a magnet to hold in place. A piece of cord to the key , slid into the pen. The receiver USB plug tied to the SVGA cable with enough lacing cord to reach the other side of a large laptop if required. As the speakers always use a ps with their laptop, then the little padlock , painted with flourescent paint and a length of hi-vis hologram tape, also tied to the VGA cable and hasp looped around their ps lead. I have been left with speaker's ps before, so should avoid that situation as well. Explaining upfront for the padlocking business

Reply to
N_Cook

Like a restroom key at a gas station, where it is chained to a rusty, used brake drum?

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell