Older CD burner repair, believe it or not !

Hi;

This is an HP 9300 series CDRW. The reason it should be fixed is that it is CD+G capable. The problem was there when it was new I think but we didn't use the drive until the warranty was up.

We actually got it to burn a few CDs but when reading the CD would rub the tray. I thought that it possibly had had two CDs in it at one time. (it was a refurb).I tried pulling up on the spindle, a tactic that had cured more than one CD player suffering from this problem, but it wouldn't budge. Actually it does read a disc so it is in focus range, so I decided to shim the mounts which for some strange reason didn't quite work. Additionally I think I bent the spindle because there was more vibration, which may just be the reason it didn't work.

Odds are that a regular CDROM will have the same motor. The $64 question is, who built the drive and/or what kind of CDROMs should I be looking at for mechanical parts ?

Should I just trash it ? If anyone knows that there are plethorae of CD+G capable burners out there for cheap I'd like to know where to get one. A buddy of mine has the old DK set of Karaoke disks and needs to back them up. Also, the company that made them got sued out of existence and even if he decides to sell them there is nobody out there to sue him, maybe. Selling them isn't the point, a few of them have picked up some minor scratches over the years and to save as much as possible would be nice. Afterward he can use one of those polishers on the originals, but he doesn't really want to try that just yet, for obvious reasons.

Thanks in advance.

JURB

Reply to
ZZactly