Old Gernanium Transistor Repair

I have an old 8 gernamium transistor, protable AM radio that is noisy on weak stations when cold. It works reasonably well when set it in the sunshine and warms up. The problem seems to be the RF section since the noise goes away when the volume is turned down. I'm suspecting the germanium transistors may be the problem and wondering which one might be replaced with a silicon variety to cure the temperature problems?

I'm not sure what all 8 transistors do. Two are in the output stage, and another is used as a audio driver that drives the audio input transformer.There are four RF coils, the usual oscillator (red) and mixer (yellow) and white (1st IF) and (black (second IF). But that only requires 6 transistors, and there are eight total. The detector is a diode, so they didn't use a transistor for that. I haven't figured out what the other 2 transistors do.

I'm thinking of replacing the oscillator transistor with a high gain silicon variety to try and eliminate the temperature problems?

Any other ideas?

-Bill

Reply to
wrongaddress

It could be a lot of things. You need to find a way to test which.

Usually two for output, two for audio amps = 4.

Actually 7. Some radios had non working transistors added to bring the count up.

You might need to alter the bias on each transistor you replace.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote in news:1163387574.804150.266160 @h54g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Try over on alt.antiques.radio+phono... they'll enjoy hearing about your germanium transistors.

Reply to
Jim Land

I don't know. There has been debate in the past over there about what's relevant to the newsgroup, and some have felt transistors aren't old enough.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Perfectly easy to manage with three - one driver only.

--
*Could it be that "I do " is the longest sentence? *

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Some of them think that Atwater Kent radios are too new for that group. Ignore them, there are a number of transistor radio collectors in that group. I have most of the "Sams Transistor Radio Manuals" in my collection:

The Sams index is available online.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

By "noisy" do you mean there is lots of background hiss, or do you mean the sound is rough and distorted?

No. The radio was designed to work with germanium transistors. Every stage you change over to silicon will need to be rebiased, retuned, and reneutralized. Not an easy job.

I'd start with replacing the electrolytics. Quite likely they're at about 20% of their original selves. Weak electrolytics can make the radio motorboat, or sound tinny and noisy.

Reply to
Ancient_Hacker

Since warmer=drier, I might look for paper tubular caps. When moist, they leak badly.

Reply to
J. Todd

But in those days more transistors = more sales. I used to fix such things.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Replacing parts at random on electronics makes not one bit of sense. There are hundreds of components and hundreds of connections, any one of which may be to do with it. Trying to repair a radio by replacing geraniums with silicon makes even less sense. Germanium trs are still sold new as well as used.

If you dont know what youre doing, leave it alone.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Paper capacitors? Transistor radios use electrolytic and mylar film instead of paper, but the electrolytics were poor quality, and they don't age very well. The capacitors in tuned circuits are either mica, ceramic or polystyrene.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Lytic caps are easily tested by piggybacking. Just clip a similar value cap on, no need for any soldering or cutting. But really its farily pointless unless you do some fault finding first.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Get a can Of "Cold Spray" when it is working good, gently spray each transistor to find which one is causing the trouble. Then replace it with a new germanium transistor.

Reply to
Ray

Unless they are leaky, then "Piggybacking" is a waste of time. I have an ESR meter, and a digital capacitor meter. On the other hand, I would probably just replace all the old electrolytics first, then look for other problems. It usually only takes a couple dollars worth of new caps, and they should be replaced if you plan to actually use the radio.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

How many gangs on the tuning cap? Many of the 8 transistor radios had an RF stage - if there are 3 gangs on the tuning cap that is a giveaway

David

snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

Reply to
quietguy

Yes, lots of background hiss and roar at low temperature. At 80 degrees F, it's not too bad, but at 55 degrees it whistles and squeals and the weak stations are lost.

I'm not sure the design is the best. They used a couple resistors to set the bias on the output stage, and when the battery voltage falls a volt or so, the output has some crossover distortion. I fixed that problem with a couple diodes in place of a resistor so the bias current stays above zero as the battery voltage falls. I can now drop the supply voltage a couple volts with no crossover distortion.

Yes, that could be a problem, but the AGC seems to work well, so that capacitor must be ok.

-Bill

Reply to
wrongaddress

Hi Bill...

I haven't read the whole thread, so if I'm repeating anyone else please accept my apologies.

Why not consider operating it in a warmish room, and spraying local components one at a time (with a few minutes break in between) with "freeze in a can" (whatever they call it in your part of the world) until you find the component that causes it to act up.

And just for the heck of it, my bet's on a resistor.

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

There are about about 50 components. This is little portable radio about the size of 2 packs of cigarettes (5.25 by 3 by 1.25). I like it because it's easy to carry around and sounds better than the smaller versions.

sense.

Well, if I leave it alone, I can only use it on hot days. I'm trying to figure out a way I can use it on hot and COLD days?

Maybe you have a suggestion to overcome the temperature problems?

-Bill

Reply to
wrongaddress

It's just a little pocket size radio (5 X 3 X 1.5) with 2 sections for the tuning cap.It has the usual four RF coils and input and output audio transformers. But that only requires 6 transistors, and there are

8 used. I suppose I can trace out the connections to try and figure out what the extra 2 transistors do.
Reply to
wrongaddress

The real way to fix it is with a signal tracer and signal generator. Isolate to a section and fault find there.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson