ID of Old Transistor

NPN TO-3 It says

Bendix 3330 USA 1012

6752B

Got it in a bag of Voltage Regulators mounted to a small (2"x3.5"x.75") heat sink.

I'm trying to find out if the heat sink is worth more than the transistor.

TIA

Norm

Reply to
Norm Dresner

Auction 'em off on ebay and get some empirical evidence...
Reply to
John Fields

Bendix made power transistors in the far past. Put it on a checker (or curve tracer) and see if it works.

...Jim Thompson

Would you trust a transistor made between Xmas and New Years?

Looking in my 1968 Newark catalog, Bendix transistors are either standard 2N numbers, or B-170000 series. Most of the 2N stuff looks to be Germanium.

Mark Zenier snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com Washington State resident

Reply to
Mark Zenier

heat

transistor.

It passed the Diode Checker B-E & B-C. I haven't gotten to the Hfe tester yet but I will.

It's definitely Si. .602 & .598 V drops.

Norm

Reply to
Norm Dresner

I'd guess it's a 2N6752B power trannie, but like I said, it's a guess.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

(2"x3.5"x.75") heat

transistor.

tester

Well, NTE's sub for it, NTE2319, is given an Hfe of 5 and two totally different DMM's measure Hfe as 3, though at a vastly lower current than the NTE spec an unspecified, but presumably much higher current than my DMMs use. Semi-Tech gives an Hfe of 8 at 5.0 A about 3 orders of magnitude higher than the meters. My Motorola power transistor book from '78 shows curves for Hfe where the values at ~.01A are half of the peak. Again, this correlates with the measurements and specs.

The real test, I guess, would be to check (at least grossly) Vceo which, for the 2N6752, is shown as 850V. Since I have no real use for this type transistor and a replacement is currently selling for around $1.50 to $2.50, I think I'll stop here and assume that's what it is. I don't think it would pay to try to sell it on eBay.

Thanks.

Norm

Reply to
Norm Dresner

It's definitely not a 2N6752B, because when Bendix got out of that business, the 2N numbers weren't even up to that high a number. That's the date code, most likely. Bendix made silicon power transistors, and I have a Bendix catalog at home. But that number doesn't ring a bell, so it's most likely a house number. And that long ago, the betas of silicon power transistors was not very high, maybe less than 40. So it's not a very good candidate for use in a modern design.

Reply to
Watson A.Name "Watt Sun - the

I would agree with you if the transistors were made by humans, but since it's more than likely that a human had little to do with the automated processes, then I don't see why that particular datecode would be worse.

Yeah, I think the Bendix catalog that I've got shows things similarly. Also, some of the silicon stuff comes in odd packages like the package for the 2N1016B, I forget the TO-xxx number of it.

Reply to
Watson A.Name "Watt Sun - the