Old automatic gate controller question.

I haven't had to do this thing before. I don't envy the people that have to do this either.

I had another look at the box last night. I removed the three relays from their mounting plate to see if I could isolate the chattering. It turned out the relay which I thought was always on, relay b in the schematic, is not always on. It's only on when the gate is stationary. I've revised the schematic,

and also used your advice to make the descriptions at the top of the schematic actually match what is shown.

The motor is driven by 240VAC which does not enter the controller part of the gate. However I did notice that whatever is switching relay b on and off, is coming from one of the four wires (not shown) coming from the motor. Eventually I'll have to figure that into the drawing as well.

The question now is what is the circuit path that keeps the closing coil/solenoid energized once the gate starts to close and relay b is turned off? I have certainly missed something in translating the actually wiring to the schematic drawing.

Thanks for your reply.

--
David Farber
David Farber's Service Center

The

hear a

is

motor

which

closes. It

AC,

Now that I've added the motor circuits to the schematic, you will notice that the coil in the B relay is in series with what looks suspiciously like a motor start capacitor. Can this be correct?

Thanks for your reply.