Nuvista tubes - need a tester or adapter

A friend of mine has a box of Nuvista tubes, 8393 and 7586 that he wants to test. These are the tiny little guys produced in that last days of tubes.

Anyone know where we can get an adapter or even a tester with the adapter built in?

TIA

John

Reply to
John Bachman

Aren't those Nuvistor tubes? Used to find those in TV tuners of lore. Might try rec.audio tubes. Some of those guys are pretty sharp and may be using nuvistors in audio amps.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Musical Fidelity make a nuvistor preamp (called 'Nuvista' oddly enough). I think they bought up just about every NOS example in the world to be able to keep making them and supplying replacements. I had to get a new set in for one that I had in for repair a few weeks ago. One had gone microphonic, but MF insist that you change them as a set. The shop that I was doing the repair for actually got them in, and I think they were around eighty odd quid for the set of four. There are plenty of schematics on the net for nuvistor based amps, and lots of data. I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to cobble together a base for one using something like the sockets stripped from a turned pin IC socket set in a bit of PCB material, or even MDF and hard wired at a pinch, and then to knock up a little circuit that characterised the basic operational parameters for the device. Even an actual preamp to test it under 'real' operational conditions.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

John, I have a Hickcock tubetester and can test them for you. Email me, my address isn't bunged.

Reply to
carneyke

Meat Plow wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.alt.net:

My 60s era Navy Surplus tube tester has Nuvistor sockets.

Reply to
Gary Tait

Thanks for the offer but we found nuvistor sockets and will make an adapter for the tube tester.

Thanks to all for your help.

John

Reply to
John Bachman