Looking for a good bench PSU

Hi all,

A friend of mine (yes I really do have one) is after a bench power supply, but isnt sure what to get. Given that i'm more a scavenger type than a buy new type of person, i'm not really in a position to advise him. He gave me some lame excuse as to why he doesnt use newsgroups but I think it's just lazyness. Hence why i'm asking on his behalf.

He's got a budget of about 300 euro's, and wants something that can do variable voltage up to 30v @ 5A or better. He's living in france so needs something that will run off the 230v@50Hz mains and wants something that will be reliable and last.

Any suggestions? advice on what's good or in your experience makes/suppliers to avoid? We've seen a few unbranded ones that have good specs at nice prices, and look fairly rugged.. are these good to go for?

Let me know if you need any more info.

Regards, Mark

Reply to
Mark Fortune

Without some target voltages and currents how can anyone give you good advice?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

30V at 5A is a fair bit of power. About 30*5 or 150 watts of delivered power. 30V at 3A isn't uncommon and might well fit within that budget, but 5A pushes the cost up -- perhaps over the 300 Euro figure, at least for a new purchase. It may be that your friend already knows all this and is setting the parameters so that any useful suggestion that fits in the budget and delivers that kind of power also will be a bargain, too.

I haven't blown up any of my power supplies yet, so they are all lasting and appear reliable from my use. But I don't hook up huge inductors/transformers to them, either, to see what happens. I treat them fairly well. The ones I happen to have are BK Precision 1621 (bought at Fry's for cheap and just as a quick, simple single-supply system) which provides up to 18V at 5A; and two Tektronix PS2520G GPIB triple supply units, which I bought reconditioned at about $150 US each. None of these provide 30V at 5A, though.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

How about an electric train transformer/speed controller bought in France which will work with his 240V. I think these devices adjust voltage through conventional transformer technology then conver to DC via conventional bridge and diodes???

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Lundberg

Find a good second-hand dealer. In my experience it is possible to get better prices at a second hand dealer than on e-bay, and you may be able to try out the power supply before buying it. I don't know any in France but if you visit the UK you could try:

Their website is usually out of date so phone before coming over in case what you want has been sold already.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

I would think that any of the industrial quality power supplies, the European equivalent of Agilent, Xantrex, or similar, on the used equipment market would suit his needs and price. Generally equipment that is ex-engineering labs or universities is still excellent for lighter use and extremely reliable. I have several lab grade power supplies that are getting well into their late 30's and are still as good as they were when new! I don't think I paid more than C$10 for any of them, either.

Neil S.

Mark Fortune wrote:

Reply to
nesesu

Almost everywhere I've worked has used the Tektronix PS280. It is a great supply. It has one fixed 5V 3A output and two adjustable 0-30V

2A outputs. The two adjustable outputs can selectively be put into series or parallel modes to either increase your current capacity or make a bipolar supply. Very versatile, reliable, and robust.

Here's one for super cheap on eBay right now:

I think it's pretty funny that this was listed as a tattoo parlor power supply...

-Tavys

Reply to
Tavys Ashcroft

I have a Manson NP-9615 that is about $200US. It is variable 0-30V and

0-5A with digital meters and two fixed voltage outlets (5 & 12V). I use it for battery charging. Seems great if you can get one there.

Reply to
John Riley

Kepco is a good brand, and they are made in USA. We used Kepco's at my old workplace and I bought one for home as well.

Reply to
Ernie Werbel

I put PC pow supplies in series , and added output limit circuits and

they are so inexpensive . Here in US we do 450 watt for $17 ..

Limit circuit is cool cause PS allready has a circuit to limit static volts !

Mark Fortune wrote:

Reply to
werty