NOISY Whirlpool Dehumidifier

Hi,

I bought a Whirlpool model AD50DSS2 dehumidifier. It is a very NOISY (vibration noise) dehumidifier!

A service man came. He thought he fixed it, but later the NOISE was back.

The dehumidifier's cabinet "amplifies" the compressor's vibration. A call to Whirlpool was no help at all.

I am a ham radio operator and found out from other hams that I am not the only one that has a NOISY Whirlpool dehumidifier.

I would like to hear from others with the same problem.

Thank You in Advance, John N3AOF

PS, Remove "ine" from my email address

Reply to
jaugustine

What about putting something heavy on the dehumidifier to dampen the sound?

About a year ago I considered buying a dehumidifier for my garage. After searching the Web for reviews, I discovered that all dehumidifiers, from any manufacturer, are pretty much junk. (Ditto for toaster-ovens, but that's another matter.)

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Just assume that you're buying a device with a two year life and get the best deal you can.

Although some of the LG models now have a 5 year warranty...

John dehumidifier in the basement with a condensate pump to move the water

- because it runs year-round in Georgia

Reply to
news

My LG dehumidifier goes on and off every so often to make it sickening. There is no way to stop it doing that except pull the plug. Thats what I did when i got air conditioning.

greg

Reply to
GregS

or jam some rolled up/folded cardboard wherever you can to make parts vibrate less. This hack works on machinery with vibrating panels or other parts that make noise even louder.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Could it be possible to build a large baffle box about it using sheets of MDF constructed so to avoid a direct path between the unit and outside. Bit like constructing a large phat-box speaker cabinet with a damping line? Obviously want to avoid the MDF getting wet.

Also, sticking sheets of bitumous deadening material on the case - sort used stuck to automotive body panels - would probably help.

Finally, securing the compressor on anti-vibration mounts might be possible, or improving the isolation it already has.

Also ...

I note this questions has been posted by the OP on many non-subject related newsgroups and has had some similar answers, to which there has been no response. I fear, but hope not, that he just wants to complain and do nothing else.

The point is Radio Hams *don't* do nothing else. By their very nature, they get right in there and tinker it, MODIFY it, even BEAT it - until it works ....

--
Adrian C
Reply to

Hi!

It seems that all new dehumidifiers are junk. I don't know. I have two vintage units--one a Ward's Signature brand and the other a Sears Coldspot--that are going on 40 years old now and still work perfectly. (The Signature lost its low fan speed about ten years ago, but who cares? Who would blame it? The Sears unit has only needed a new fan motor...while the overflow cutoff is bad, it empties into a drain and I don't care about the long defunct neon "full" indicator.)

As to your problem...check the rubber mounts on which the compressor lives. There should be four or so between each "foot" of the compressor and the frame of the unit. If those seem to be OK (and the fasteners are reasonably tight), check the fan motor and its blades. The motor could be loose or the fan blades might be hitting something.

If you can, try to run the unit with the cover or grille(s) off to see what is making the sound. Exercise caution before touching anything inside to see if you can change or eliminate the rattle.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Hi William,

I did not list the different methods I tried, starting with different weights on top, insuring that everything is "tight" inside, checking the rubber mounts used by the compressor, different small carpets for it to sit on, and many other techniques.

My latest attempt, I used two boards with holes near each end and long threaded rods (with nuts, flat & lock washers) through the holes in order to squeeze the sides (boards against sides) of the cabinet. So far (one day), it seems to work, but other methods I tried in the past seemed to work, but only for a while.

Since this cold spell hit us, the dehumidifier is turned off. I will have to wait until warmer weather comes back before I use it again. If this latest technique works for at least two weeks, I will post an "update".

John

Reply to
jaugustine