Simple radio transmitter/receiver

I'm going to make a remote control for some equipment, and was thinking
about using a small radio transmitter, to avoid some of the issues related
to IR.
The basic idea is to just make a simple oscilator that operates in the RF
band, and use the built-in UART in the remote microchip to turn the
transmitter on and off, in a sort of binary AM style.
On the receiving end, I was thinking about using a receiver tuned to the
frequency of the transmitter.
When the transmitter is ON (Binary 1 from the UART), the receiver detects
the signal, and turns the output to a binary 1.
When the transmitter is not transmitting (Binary 0 from the UART) the
receiver doesn't detect anything (beside background noise) and the receiver
output drops to a binary 0.

For starters.. Is this doable?
If it is, where should I go to try to find some simple scematics for the
transmitter and receiver?

I would imagine a simple RF oscilator would be enough for the transmitter.
Maybe use RC model crystals to maintain a stable frequency.

Any suggestions?

Re: Simple radio transmitter/receiver

Andy writes:

   I would suggest a copy of  The Radio Amateur's Handbook.

It has hundreds of circuits that can be copied to implement your
requirements, and also serves as a very useful source for a theoretical
treatment, on a level which you might find helpful.

  It also has sections on data transmission from the simple OOK
technique which you propose, to more sophisticated circuits using
other techniques, such as FSK, which offer some advantages.

  This book is published every year, with changes and updates, by
the American Radio Relay League,  in other words,  "ham" operators.
You might enjoy this as a hobby.  I started in high school 50 years ago
and have been building stuff ever since.....

  Good Luck,
                           Andy   W4OAH

Re: Simple radio transmitter/receiver

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 19:52:46 +0200, "Norleif Sletteb"

http://microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId76%

http://para.maxim-ic.com/compare.asp?Fam=rf_transceivers&Tree=Wireless&HP=Wireless.cfm&ln =

Re: Simple radio transmitter/receiver

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 19:52:46 +0200, in sci.electronics.design "Norleif

its all to do with range and data rate

try this, from their newsletter to me

http://www.lprs.co.uk/calculator/index.php?utm_source=newsletter6&utm_medium=email&utm_term=rfic%2Bmodule&utm_content=easyRadio&utm_campaign=RFIC%2Bor%2Bmodule

martin

Re: Simple radio transmitter/receiver

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 19:58:27 +0200, in sci.electronics.design martin

OOps, wrong link
just try
http://www.lprs.co.uk /

martin