Simple radio transmitter/receiver

I would suggest a copy of The Radio Amateur's Handbook.

It has hundreds of circuits that can be copied to implement your requirements, and also serves as a very useful source for a theoretical treatment, on a level which you might find helpful.

It also has sections on data transmission from the simple OOK technique which you propose, to more sophisticated circuits using other techniques, such as FSK, which offer some advantages.

This book is published every year, with changes and updates, by the American Radio Relay League, in other words, "ham" operators. You might enjoy this as a hobby. I started in high school 50 years ago and have been building stuff ever since.....

Good Luck, Andy W4OAH

Reply to
Andy

Wes Stewart

I'm going to make a remote control for some equipment, and was thinking about using a small radio transmitter, to avoid some of the issues related to IR. The basic idea is to just make a simple oscilator that operates in the RF band, and use the built-in UART in the remote microchip to turn the transmitter on and off, in a sort of binary AM style. On the receiving end, I was thinking about using a receiver tuned to the frequency of the transmitter. When the transmitter is ON (Binary 1 from the UART), the receiver detects the signal, and turns the output to a binary 1. When the transmitter is not transmitting (Binary 0 from the UART) the receiver doesn't detect anything (beside background noise) and the receiver output drops to a binary 0.

For starters.. Is this doable? If it is, where should I go to try to find some simple scematics for the transmitter and receiver?

I would imagine a simple RF oscilator would be enough for the transmitter. Maybe use RC model crystals to maintain a stable frequency.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Norleif Slettebø

its all to do with range and data rate