No Time Left For VCRs?

Something else I just remembered...I set up no less than seven VCRs at differing locations to record the very end of analog TV.

(I was under the impression that the various stations would do something interesting, as a sort of "grand finale" or just as a way of saying goodbye to analog TV broadcasting. None did, most didn't even bother signing off before they dropped out.)

I re-used older tapes that had been given to me, and the VCRs ranged from 20 to 5 years old. Then I went to sleep.

Not a single one of them failed to do the job. Somehow I can't help but think that a bunch of newer-fangled DVRs/PVRs/TiVo devices would not have done so well.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

I've got a Topfield here in the UK - no monthly rental or fee, but bought outright. So the equivalent of a VCR. I've had it for some time - and there are lots of cheaper ones now on the market.

I agree about PC progs for this sort of thing - they always make them far too complicated. The Toppy is far easier to use than any VCR - and has the beauty that anyone can write software for it, so if you don't like some aspects of the supplied one there will probably be someone who thought the same and has corrected it.

--
*Errors have been made.  Others will be blamed.

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Mar 2, 1:14=A0pm, "William R. Walsh" wrote: > Something else I just remembered...I set up no less than seven VCRs at > differing locations to record the very end of analog TV. >

Having been living with 3 PC based recorders for better than 3 years, they really aren't too much trouble. The bulk of the errors are becasue of mistakes on my part. Last years log sheet showed 3 operator errors for every computer error. At the time I was recording 15 hrs/ week. We haven't watched a rerun in 15 months. Recordings that are _identical_ to live TV (HD of course) are way better than low res noisy analog tapes.

G=B2

Reply to
stratus46

Speaking of VCR's, don't forget !!!