No Time Left For VCRs?

I have, within the last year.

How? =20

Great plan, but there are titles that are still only (have ever=20 been) available on VHS.

Reply to
krw

VHS to DVD copy machine ??

GregS

In article , snipped-for-privacy@zekfrivolous.com says...>

Copy protection?

Reply to
krw

On recorded tapes ???

Reply to
GregS

In article , snipped-for-privacy@zekfrivolous.com says...>

Absolutely! My DVDR refuses to copy prerecorded tapes.

Reply to
krw

I actually did some converting and editing a couple years back. Editing and compiling on a computer is time consuming, allthough you can take important sections out of tapes and eliminate crap, time saving when viewing. I bought $650 Sony cancorder that had video inputs which I connected to the VHS machine, fed by Firewire into the computer. Wallmart had converters cheap as $80 a couple years back, but after I started using my Sony. Some VHS converters have a built in hard disk so you can edit then burn to DVD.

Reply to
GregS

I guess it records blank tapes !

I said recorded. Not pre recorded.

Who needs to record a bought movie. Get the high resolution DVD.

Reply to
GregS

In article , snipped-for-privacy@zekfrivolous.com says...>

Editing certainly is time consuming. Useful, if painful, for personal video, not so much for commercial tapes.

If I were to do any, I'd rather capture on the computer directly.

can edit

But refuse to copy some prerecorded tapes. My Lite-On DVD-R throws up the equivalent of an FBI notice when I tried.

Reply to
krw

In article , snipped-for-privacy@zekfrivolous.com says...>

Good grief.

Learn to read.

Learn to read. 1) Not all titles have been made available on DVD.

2) Why should I (have to) buy another copy of what I already have a license for? 2a) I would, but see 1).
Reply to
krw

Answer for the above: NO, not for me.

A tape can suffer your above scenarios, but it is avoidable by the user. A DVR erasing or "losing" a recording is random and the fault of the DVR. No matter how careful a user is, the DVR *will* make recordings go "poof."

Reply to
UCLAN

How do you record HD programming? In SD?

Reply to
UCLAN

Plus, Panasonic's new DMP-BD70V will upconvert VHS to 1080p via HDMI.

Reply to
UCLAN

My DVR, a Sony digital TAPE camcorder will not loose a recording but the tape could get screwed up. Digital tape is also a storage medium.

greg

Reply to
GregS

I have no interest in HD programming.

-- Roger Blake (Subtract 10s for email. "Google Groups" messages killfiled due to spam.) "Obama dozed while people froze."

Reply to
Roger Blake

If only VHS approached SD...

--
*I feel like I\'m diagonally parked in a parallel universe*

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Feb 23, 11:44=A0am, Roger Blake wrote: > On 2009-02-23, UCLAN wrote: >

If you watch major network TV, they're only giving you HD in primetime. Granted your converter box will down-convert the HD to SD which you can use with all the older gear.

I assume you've seen HD operating properly. It doesn't do _anything_ for you?

We watched Nature last night on PBS. Those Yellowstone shots sure are impressive in HD

G=B2

Reply to
stratus46

Thats interesting. One thing I have been looking into is converting HDTV to my standard NTSC video input on my Toshiba 36 inch tube TV. The TV had a great picture and it was more than capable of reproducing standard definition broadcast and room to spare.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Hard work? If these videos are worth keeping, they're worth the 2 hours (mostly unattended) to capture to a PC, 5 minutes to cue them all up in a conversion application for the target output (if the machine wasn't fast enough to do this in realtime, which modern dual + core processors easily are, and another few minutes to put onto DVD or whatever.

What's the alternative? You feel magnetic tape won't degrade sitting around for years longer?

Reply to
emailaddress

=3D20

ys, but

that

t of

lls

to have

won't

e a

make

gM...

I recommend using something that doesn't. There are plenty of computer video capture cards out there which have macrovision disabled drivers.

Reply to
emailaddress

..>=3D20

days,

CRs that

lot of

rolls

ital

ly to have

it won't

s be a

to make

M...

Since movies aren't a life necessity, it's hardly important whether every last one is available on DVD. What if you dupe only those that aren't available on DVD yourself, or just accept that you don't really need a library of every movie you've already seen once.

Reply to
emailaddress