Time for a new stack

Hi,

I looked through the stacks I have written in the past and decided that it would be silly to invest any time porting any of these as they either rely on *lots* of resources or scant *little* resources. I.e., it is easier to just write yet another and, as with the others, tailor it to the needs of the application itself (VoIP, audio and A/V appliances).

As part of going through the regular litany of clients and services that I might need/want to support on that stack, I gave some thought to DHCPc. Which led to my thinking about the nodes that I currently have in place and how I handle my IP assignments, name resolution, etc.

[long story... "less long" :> ]

I realized that I've already got 20 (1918) IPs in use and, once the stack is complete, that number will easily double. :-/ (NBD as I'll never fill 10/8! :> )

With this realization came the thought: how many IPs do most folks use? And, are *all* of those hiding behind NATd *somewhere*? Will this change in the future and will people push those IP out for grerater visibility?

How this impacts me (and my stack planning): should I bite the bullet and write a v6 stack? (my existing stacks have been more traditional -- v4 CIDR with protections for *some* common vulnerabilities as well as little "tricks" suited to making "appliances" more robust)

So, for those folks *designing* IP devices (besides workstations), how do *you* see the market moving?

And, for folks *using* IP addresses, are all of your IPs "private"?

Thx,

--don

Reply to
D Yuniskis

[...]

I never liked "toy" stacks because of poor performance and lack of features; however desktop class stacks with extensive use of dynamic memory are not very suitable for embedded either. IMO the optimum is somewhere in the middle.

Required features: IPv4, UDP/TCP, client/server socket API, DHCP client, automatic private addresses, ICMP. Optional: packet fragmentation support.

Stack like that would take ~100k. It could be good enough to be exposed to WAN directly.

VLV

Reply to
Vladimir Vassilevsky