New TV

=_NextPart_000_000E_01C7995B.5C481510 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Looking to replace our TV. With all that's out there now I am confused = Plasma ? LCD? Projection? 750 or 1080 P Most of you hear this all the time sorry but help would be = appreciated. would like 37 to 42" screen Ktech

Reply to
Frank

Ken

Not my field (I'm strictly audio), so others can correct me... For nominally same size TV: LCD cheaper than Plasma LCD lower power consumption than plasma Plasma brighter than LCD at the bright end Plasma shorter life than LCD I've forgotten which has the "best deep blacks" Hope this helps. I don't expect to buy a flat screen TV very soon as we've just inherited a newish CRT based 27 inch TV. Cheers, Roger

Reply to
Engineer

yes

lcd 250w constant draw of power due to back light plasma varies with brightness over all very close to the same in power use

lcd better in bright rooms plasma for the rest

Panels in both (panasonic) rated at 60,000 hours

plasma contrast ratio 10000 to 1 lcd 5000 to 1 plasma produces better blacks

Reply to
nipperchipper

What size?

Under 32 inch LCD 1080p

Over 32 inch Plasma 1080p

Reply to
Broderick Crawford

Looking to replace our TV. With all that's out there now I am confused Plasma ? LCD? Projection? 750 or 1080 P Most of you hear this all the time sorry but help would be appreciated. would like 37 to 42" screen Ktech

IMO, get a tube model or don't pay much and look at the warranty.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

On 18 May, 20:46, "Frank" wrote:

asma ? LCD? Projection? 750 or 1080 P

ed. would like 37 to 42" screen

Hia Frank, I am a technical advisor, and have been a workshop (TV) engineer for over 30 years. The info you have already been given seems to be correct with regard to the power consuption etc. Plasma is better for dark/black detail, and better for fast action as you may get some delay artifacts on LCD. Lcd has a higher pixel count, thefore has finer detail but at the viewing distance required (about 10 - 15 foot) you probablt wont notice the difference. The best advice I can give you, is to go to a large store such as Comet, where they will have a lot of sets on display, and you can make your own judgment. The branded makes such as Panasonic, Toshiba, Sony, Sharp, Hitachi, philps etc are probably better than own branded makes, but that depends on how much you want to spend. I think Panasonic are probably the best for Plasma, and Toshiba or sharp are excellent LCD sets. One thing you must bear in mind that, when you get such a large display, you are blowing up (like a baloon) the same definition therefore the definition is not as good as a small set. These sets are crying out for HD (high definition). Ask the store to show you a set running in HD. I think you will be amazed! Bear in mind that the only source(s) of HD are a dedicated HD player such as Toshiba or Sony do, the former costs about =A3350 and has the HD DVD format. Blue ray is the other format, and has more film rights, hence most of the new films tend to me Blue Ray. Blue ray players are more expensive, but the new Sony Playstation 3, has a blue ray player built in. The film itself has to have been recorded in HD, but these players are backward compatable, and will play normal DVD's. They currently cost around =A315 a film in HD. The other source of HD is Sky Plus, but please bear in mind that only a few channels transmit true HD. You should make sure you use an HDMI lead for HD. You can use component video or DVI, but these last two require seperate sound connections.

Hope this helps

Rod

Reply to
Rodney.Marriott

Your advice is best I have seen sofar!

One thing I would like to add, is that I found that rear screen projection sets are not that great. They look soft, and the replacement lamps don't always last very long, and are very expensive. A few people I know bought a rear screen LCD projection TV because they like the size. I found it to be a bit soft compared to a standard front view. They also learned the hard way that about every 6 to 8 months, they had to replace the projection lamp. This lamp is over $200 US! The TV is used every day for most of the day.

As for LCD screens, I also found that with age, they do not drift in colour temperature. After about 60,000 hours the backplane lamp and its power supply may burn out. But, after that many hours, I would be looking at replacing the set rather than servicing it. There are many other types of components that can die in a TV or monitor after many hours of use.

--

Jerry G.

wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com... On 18 May, 20:46, "Frank" wrote:

Hia Frank, I am a technical advisor, and have been a workshop (TV) engineer for over 30 years. The info you have already been given seems to be correct with regard to the power consuption etc. Plasma is better for dark/black detail, and better for fast action as you may get some delay artifacts on LCD. Lcd has a higher pixel count, thefore has finer detail but at the viewing distance required (about 10 - 15 foot) you probablt wont notice the difference. The best advice I can give you, is to go to a large store such as Comet, where they will have a lot of sets on display, and you can make your own judgment. The branded makes such as Panasonic, Toshiba, Sony, Sharp, Hitachi, philps etc are probably better than own branded makes, but that depends on how much you want to spend. I think Panasonic are probably the best for Plasma, and Toshiba or sharp are excellent LCD sets. One thing you must bear in mind that, when you get such a large display, you are blowing up (like a baloon) the same definition therefore the definition is not as good as a small set. These sets are crying out for HD (high definition). Ask the store to show you a set running in HD. I think you will be amazed! Bear in mind that the only source(s) of HD are a dedicated HD player such as Toshiba or Sony do, the former costs about £350 and has the HD DVD format. Blue ray is the other format, and has more film rights, hence most of the new films tend to me Blue Ray. Blue ray players are more expensive, but the new Sony Playstation 3, has a blue ray player built in. The film itself has to have been recorded in HD, but these players are backward compatable, and will play normal DVD's. They currently cost around £15 a film in HD. The other source of HD is Sky Plus, but please bear in mind that only a few channels transmit true HD. You should make sure you use an HDMI lead for HD. You can use component video or DVI, but these last two require seperate sound connections.

Hope this helps

Rod

Reply to
Jerry G.

hia Jerry, what you say about projection tv is quite right, thats why I didn't recommend them, that also is true of DLP sets. While Plasma sets give a higher light output (being an active light source, as against LCD) LCD are getting better, I recently looked at a plasma and lcd side by side, and to be honest, I could not see any difference, but this was not a critical anaysis, more from just watching them as a customer would. I would advise taking out extended warranty on both plasma and LCD, especially the large sizes, as if the display panel fails, they are VERY espensive to replace!

Regards

Rod

Reply to
Rodney.Marriott

snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com ha escrito: . I would advise taking out extended warranty on both plasma and

correct.

The following is from today, opied from a thread on another forum:

i was shocked this week when a toshiba 32wl56p came in for repair it didnt take long to diagnose the fault to the inverter pcb having failed so as usual next action was contact toshiba for price couldnt believe it when they told me the sharp manufactured inverter/lcd panel was only available as a complete assy at a cost of about =A3500 plus vat this has also happened with other manufacturers ie daewoo philips and a few others i think its outrageous that a =A350-100 inverter fault means having to purchase the whole screen however i typed the inverter part number into google and to my surprise found a company in the states (INVERTERCENTRAL.COM)that supplies the inverter it is one of there most popular ones the whole price inc shipping is $99 which saved a perfectly good tv although its a crappy lcd from landfill

__________________

Default Re: lcd inverter failure thats very usefull to know, i have a fiew large lcd monitors with failed or faining inverters i'll give them a go.

Jay __________________ The light at the end of the tunnel is probably the headlight of an oncoming train j

Default Re: lcd inverter failure I had the inverter fail on my Acer 17" LCD monitor model AL1711, identical inside to the 15" version AL1511. I managed to open it up and found four electrolytics with slightly bulging tops, these were mounted on the pcb such that the heat from a heatsink rose straight into them. I changed all four caps and the monitor is now working well. Worth a check on any monitor really, change those caps with slightly convex tops! I used 105 deg.C jobs as replacement. Les __________________

Hi RBM Many thanks for that. I suppose their theory is that a faulty backlight tube will damage the inverter. This can be the case in smaller sets for some reason, but I've yet to find this in large- screen LCDs. Mind you, =A3500 is a good price for a screen - Panasonic and Philips are around =A31000 for a 32" - and that doesn't include the inverter PCB!

Default Re: lcd inverter failure Quote: Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post Mind you, =A3500 is a good price for a screen - Panasonic and Philips are around =A31000 for a 32" - and that doesn't include the inverter PCB! It will not be worth repairing anything soon, John Lewis were selling Panasonic 37" LCD TVs for about =A3850 last week with 5 years guarantee, which makes =A31000 for a spare part seem a trifle uneconomic.

John The only problem with these extended warranties is that if the repair is considered uneconomical or if parts are NLA then the set is written off and the insurers pay a fraction of a new set.

You Guys are great . Much good info regarding replacement TV. Friend told me that LG is considered a good product . Your feelings ? Man buying a new TV is as much a Pain------- as buying a car. Ktech

Reply to
Frank

Pretty good. Don't buy 'old' brand names like RCA, Philips - or Singer! No name brands are better than those.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Well those *are* no name brands, with well known names slapped on the front. They do tend to be the bottom of the barrel though.

Reply to
James Sweet

My theory is that if the sets are really bad they use a rent-a-name to make them look better than they are. If they're OK they sell on their own without the label.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson